2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

V8 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Dice38
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 Swap

Im planning on doing an engine swap for my 98' V6 Dakota. It is 2wd regular cab with the 5 speed. Would this engine be a good choice? http://market.autopartsfair.com/dodg...81ioy_8_8.html

If so what else do I need for a complete installation. Would it be better to just find a wrecked Dakota? Thanks in advance for the info.

DICE

Old 01-04-2006, 04:55 AM
5 speed
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: V8 Swap

if you go that route you should find a parts truck so you can transfer the intake and all the parts that long block doesnt come with. considering its a stick you may be better off buying a carburated magnum intake and an electronic ignition.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:20 AM
dodgeman4x4
Rookie

My first concern would be the wireing. So what 5 speed said about going the carb route may be a good idea. but the FI is better and if you can wire it up then i would go for it. But you will need a new PCM and wire harness. You may need to get new engine mounts welded in. You'll need all the sensors, the cables for gas pedal and such. This isn't a small task...

Why not just buy a v8?

Old 01-04-2006, 06:16 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you insist on keeping your truck and doing the swap, you might as well put a 360 in it. Mileage isn't all that different, power is better with better potential, price is the same, etc.

But it's far cheaper to sell your truck and buy a new one already with a v8

Old 01-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Dice38

If it's cheaper to buy a new truck I'll just pass on the engine swap until more funds are available(still in high school). What I was really looking for was a way to gain a decent amount of power. I know that the V6 in the truck has been re-built with upgraded cams, rockers, etc., but since I bought the truck from a guy who was selling the truck for his freind, i dont know specifically what parts are upgraded and what aren't. Would a turbo be the right route to go or would that be more expensive than the v8 swap?

Also, my muffler turns down under the cab. I was told this would rust the truck out, is this true?

DICE

Old 01-05-2006, 12:18 AM
dodgeman4x4
Rookie

first of all I don't see what a highschooler needs all that power for. When I was in highschool(not too long ago) every single friend of mine, yes EVERY one, crashed their car or got in some kinda accident. That is only the ones that had fast cars did that. So ask yourself..."what do i need this much power for?" Remember a heavly modified engine(i.e turbo) will be less reliable and more on gas. you will soon find in the years to come that your extra money you have now is not avaible. So plan ahead and just stick with your 6 you have. It should be plenty for your going to do with it. I understand a having a want to go fast, but trust me you don't need to. Instead focus more on suspension, brakes, rims + tires, & looks of your truck. As well as regular maint. of it.

As for that muffler thing, that doesn't make any sense to me. How can redirecting your exhaust stream cause premature rusting of your truck??? Doesn't make sense.

Quick Reply: V8 Swap