2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Shifting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 07:22 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Let the girl get good and warmed up once I got it running. Shifting is definitely sticking. I got into all 4 gears but there were times I had to wind it up and then let off to shift. A couple of times it seemed to be between gears. No grinding or noises though so I think something is just gummed up from sitting. Going to check with a shop I've dealt with for 40 years and see what they think it might be.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:10 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Evidently the transmission sat so long it got lazy. I've been driving the truck to get some miles on it. As I was driving it was shifting between 1 and 2 just fine. 3 was hesitant and eventually started shifting and then 4th got to working. I drove up to a used tire shop a few miles away and by the time I got there, it was shifting decent. I took the long way home and all the gears are working and I got the old gal up to 70 and everything was working smooth.

Now, if I can get the cruise working and put a new exhaust on it, I'll have a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Shifting issues.