2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Inoperable cruise control.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 12:21 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts
Default Inoperable cruise control.

I'm finally driving my '97 Dakota Sport. The previous owner said the cruise worked but it doesn't. I'm getting ready to start tracing the issue. Any ideas on what would keep it from working? I'm heading out to check fuses shortly as well as removing the screwdriver handle used as a shift lever. The horn works and the air bag light isn't lit except for the check function when you start it so it (probably) isn't the steering column clock spring. With the low miles, I don't think it's a failed component, although I'll be checking grounds due to the rust. All the vacuum lines look good.

I looked at the inside of the fuse panel cover and didn't see a fuse for cruise control. Anybody know which one it is?

Old 04-30-2023, 12:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

If it works the same way as on the full size trucks.... there isn't a fuse. The buttons on the steering column just modify a 5 volt reference signal, and send it back to the PCM for the various functions. There *should* be a 'cruise' light in the dash... does that test when you start the truck? If that works, does it come on when you turn on the cruise?

Old 04-30-2023, 05:58 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it works the same way as on the full size trucks.... there isn't a fuse. The buttons on the steering column just modify a 5 volt reference signal, and send it back to the PCM for the various functions. There *should* be a 'cruise' light in the dash... does that test when you start the truck? If that works, does it come on when you turn on the cruise?

The dash indicator light works. I remembered I downloaded the repair manual. I printed out the speed control section. I'm wondering if the ABS sensor has anything to do with it. The manual says there is no VSS for the cruise but it takes a signal from the sensor on the rear differential. I have a new sensor as the ABS light is on but I haven't been able to get the sensor out of the differential yet. I'll be tearing into it again to replace the rear flex hose as my pedal feels like a bad wheel cylinder but those have both been replaced.

Old 04-30-2023, 06:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

I thought cruise got its vehicle speed reading from the same place the VSS does.... theoretically, if your speedo works, your cruise should too. Now, if the ABS lite is on, that might change things, but, I don't recall ever reading anything about that. Does the cruise servo have a good vacuum source?? If it's under the battery, the bladder didn't get destroyed by battery acid?? May have to solve the ABS issue, and see if cruise starts working.....

Old 04-30-2023, 10:53 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I thought cruise got its vehicle speed reading from the same place the VSS does.... theoretically, if your speedo works, your cruise should too. Now, if the ABS lite is on, that might change things, but, I don't recall ever reading anything about that. Does the cruise servo have a good vacuum source?? If it's under the battery, the bladder didn't get destroyed by battery acid?? May have to solve the ABS issue, and see if cruise starts working.....

I'll look under the battery. I had most of that out when I worked on the engine, and replaced the battery but I never pulled the tray. I spent a LOT of time fixing jack leg repairs. I did find some interesting notes in the back of the owners manual. In 2002, the engine was replaced at 33,000 miles. 3 months later it was replaced again at 36,000 miles. (It actually says "new eng".) I noticed some nice decals that looked like a crate engine when I was in there. This means my truck with 96K on the clock has an engine with 60,000 miles.

I also watched a couple of videos on the ABS sensor. It looked like it was in a recess on the housing but it sits flat and should twist (carefully) loose. I have to go back to replace a bad hose in back so maybe things will work better afterward.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:23 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

on my 01, cruise servo was next to PCM, behind passenger headlight.

as HeyYou said, it's just 5 buttons with various resistor values that mux to the PCM. it's a fairly simple system.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:33 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by magnethead
on my 01, cruise servo was next to PCM, behind passenger headlight.

as HeyYou said, it's just 5 buttons with various resistor values that mux to the PCM. it's a fairly simple system.

The servo on my truck is on the firewall next to the A/C receiver/dryer. I didn't think it was under the battery but I pulled the tray. Nothing under there but the frame. The wire plug looks good but the servo is rusty so I may just have a bad servo. I hooked a vacuum gauge to the supply line but the truck would't start. The battery is a week old and charged and the starter isn't much older. It just clicks like a dead battery. I suspect corrosion on the power line from the fuse block to the starter. I'll get under there tomorrow if the wind dies down. I have some wire left from when I ran 6 volt cars and I'll make a power line that WILL carry plenty of current. (I'm about 150 miles from Springfield IL where the wind caused a dust storm and closed I-55 down and killed several people.)

Old 05-15-2023, 09:14 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Put a different servo on my truck. Cruise still doesn't come on. The cruise on my Ram was erratic and I pulled the switch and cleaned it with electronics cleaner. I'm going to try that and if it doesn't work, see about getting some different switches.

The bone yard near me recently reopened after a fire 1 1/2 years ago and they have fresh stock with lots of Mopars.

With the transmission shifting now, this truck is a little screamer.

Quick Reply: Inoperable cruise control.