2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Should I rebuild or replace 91 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:27 PM
hegan1956
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I rebuild or replace 91 5.2

Hi guys and gals,

I have a newly acquired 91 Dakota with the 5.2 roller block.(Actually it came with (2) 5.2L engines in the bed & non under the hood.[&:] One engine is the original "Y" block, the other is one from a 91 D2500.) This will be the first roller block I’ve rebuilt, but not the first LA I’ve rebuilt. The questions I have are many, but to start off this engine seems to be an in-between LA/Magnum transition. I’ve looked over the manuals and get more questions than answers. The heads have magnum exhaust ports and LA intake ports. It uses the LA rocker shafts and valve covers. Now looking for performance parts has only made my confusion worse. Cam selection isn’t the same for the 5.2 and the 5.9 year models, but they will both retrofit backwards to pre-Magnum solid lifter cams if I was stupid enough to do that. So come on people. I’ve been away from Ma Mopar for a bit and I need to catch up. Give me some tips and a little nudge in the right direction. Intake mods, Ignition setups, Cam choices, Rockers, anything. I’ll listen, I may not do it, but I will listen. I’m even thinking to heck with it all and go find a Magnum and drop one in. So if this series is a dog, so be it, say so, I will not be upset, I really want to know what you think.

Now for a little background on me so you'll know about my level of ability. I "was" a certified mechanic and automotive machinist so I can do whatever I need to do. I was also trained by Mopar and not by those other nasty brands. That means if you tell me a lifter I understand a lifter is a tappet, etc and not a spring. I'll try and not be a smart A, but please tell me facts, not what uncle Bob heard cousin Jim said to brother who-ever[:-]. I have to do something soon and time to plan is now so as not to waste time nor money. If anyone is interested I am also a powder coater and of course I will be PC'ing the engine during the build. This will be a parts truck for my business, and the occassional tow vehicle when we go to a show. I will be keeping a photo jurnal of the build as we do it as well if anyone wants to keep up with it.

Quick Reply: Should I rebuild or replace 91 5.2