2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 07:11 AM
Shira
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket

Ok, so I have been working on the head gasket to my 97 3.9L V6 Dodge dakota 2 wd. 5 spd. Anyway. We are down to the heads and need to remove the valve springs and rods. Is there a way to remove these without the valve spring tool? Can someone please provide me a step by step process of doing this. This is the vital part, I know.

I am not the mechanic, I am paying my neighbor to do this for me. After parts and labor, I am pretty spent on money to rent the tool. If anyone can help me with infos, I would greatly appreciate it.

thank you

Old 04-02-2023, 10:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Need the tool to remove valve springs. If the heads are still on the motor, you are going to want to do something to keep them from falling into the cylinders as well. With the heads off, its a non-issue. Valve springs don't need to come off to pull the heads. Pull the rockers, and pushrods though. (and keep them in the proper order. You want them to go back into the same place they came out of.)

The following users liked this post:
Shira (04-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Head gasket