2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radiator ID + trans cooler confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 09:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey Stalloney
No valve. And I strongly suspect this was designed to run ext cooler only (see my response above). Has 230k and still running strong (knock on wood), and I rarely run in temps far below freezing, so think I'll just leave it as is.
If it's worked this long, no reason to believe that it will magically stop working. If it doesn't get that cold where you live, then yeah, I agree. Leave it.

The following users liked this post:
Joey Stalloney (05-28-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 10:10 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

The mopar parts manual shows only 2 options for the cooler lines. These are presumably for external cooler or internal cooler. Image search for part #s confirms they are long, trans to cooler lines. If the external cooler were run in conjunction with an internal cooler from the factory there would be a short line that ran from internal to external cooler listed--there is none. Furthermore, an examination of my current lines shows what appears to be prefabricated lines that go directly from trans to external cooler. Both lines are different, with different prefab bends and length, and both fit precisely. Neither of the lines would properly mount to either port of the internal cooler. IOW, these lines were designed to take fluid from trans to ext cooler and back with no provision for routing to internal cooler. It appears at least 2004 models were designed to run either internal or external coolers, not both. I suppose it's possible that the parts manual is not completely inclusive and some were shipped with both coolers utilized, but it certainly doesn't appear to be the norm.
The 2004 and 2003 Dak are the same... no differences. The link I posted earlier discusses the CSF 3516 radiator. I installed one ten years ago, so I will admit that my memory is fuzzy on how the lines run exactly, but I do remember hard lines going into the radiator and wrapping around to the cooler up front (circled yellow below). I'm pretty sure the internal cooler/warmer runs in conjunction with the external cooler, just don't remember how the lines are run. I'll take a look at the truck soon but might not be able to see much. As you can see, there are plastic covers over the lines up front.

Here you can see the connections on right for the internal cooler....

External cooler....

Last edited by Dodgevity; 05-28-2023 at 10:13 PM.
Joey Stalloney (05-28-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 10:52 PM
Joey Stalloney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
... I'll take a look at the truck soon but might not be able to see much. As you can see, there are plastic covers over the lines up front....
please do take a look, I'm curious if you're using both and if the lines/routing all look OEM, thank you.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:11 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

please do take a look, I'm curious if you're using both and if the lines/routing all look OEM, thank you.
I can assure you it's all OEM. I didn't even have to go look. Old pic of mine with the shroud removed.

Joey Stalloney (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 11:08 PM
Joey Stalloney

I can assure you it's all OEM. I didn't even have to go look. Old pic of mine with the shroud removed.
thanks so much. Parts catalog is so unclear as to what lines go with what options. Diagram shows short lower tube from ext cooler-- is there a junction where it joins longer tube that heads back to trans? Most of the cooler tubes are discontinued anyway...

Old 05-30-2023, 12:41 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

thanks so much. Parts catalog is so unclear as to what lines go with what options. Diagram shows short lower tube from ext cooler-- is there a junction where it joins longer tube that heads back to trans? Most of the cooler tubes are discontinued anyway...
Not sure I understand your issue. Go look at your current rad and see if the lines are there, which I'm pretty certain they will be. The shroud will cover things but you can figure it out. When you buy the new rad, hook em up.

Old 05-30-2023, 02:31 AM
Joey Stalloney

Not sure I understand your issue. Go look at your current rad and see if the lines are there, which I'm pretty certain they will be. The shroud will cover things but you can figure it out. When you buy the new rad, hook em up.
My current setup uses the external cooler only. I'll probably have to cut at least one of the lines and cobble the rest together with fittings and rubber hose.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:43 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

My current setup uses the external cooler only. I'll probably have to cut at least one of the lines and cobble the rest together with fittings and rubber hose.
That's really strange as your build sheet says heavy duty cooling, which is the same setup I've got. You've got tow package as well, right? Are the radiator cooler connections left open or blocked off? Any pics?

Old 05-30-2023, 03:44 PM
Joey Stalloney

That's really strange as your build sheet says heavy duty cooling, which is the same setup I've got. You've got tow package as well, right? Are the radiator cooler connections left open or blocked off? Any pics?
Even stranger, the mopar parts manual lists the cooler kit (under GROUP 001) as "Without Heavy Duty Cooling."
Yeah, tow package. Radiator ports were just left open. Radiator is out, but I'll get pics of the oil cooler and lines.

Last edited by Joey Stalloney; 05-30-2023 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:01 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Even stranger, the mopar parts manual lists the cooler kit (under GROUP 001) as "Without Heavy Duty Cooling."
Yeah, tow package. Radiator ports were just left open. Radiator is out, but I'll get pics of the oil cooler and lines.
That's crazy, maybe a previous owner made changes. Best bet would be to visit a junkyard or peruse craigslist for someone parting out.

Quick Reply: Radiator ID + trans cooler confusion