2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

looking for tow rating for 98 3.9 2whl dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Brute1973
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for tow rating for 98 3.9 2whl dakota

hello. I am trying to find out what the tow rating is for my truck. It is a 98 3.9 2whl drive short bed extended cab dakota. I found a great deal on a 24 ft travel trailer. Problem is, it is 3600 lbs. This truck is about paid off and I am not in a position right now to buy a full size. Is there any way I can safely pull this trailer without destroying my truck's motor or drivetrain? Are there specific upgrades that I can do (susp or motor) that will make this poissible? Any help or advice anyone can offer will be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:19 PM
kdh97602
Professional
Default RE: looking for tow rating for 98 3.9 2whl dakota

According to trailer life- http://www.trailerlife.com/towrating...hrys-dodge.cfm , the dakota club cab with the 3.9l v6 and an auto trans can tow 4800 lbs. I beleve this is due mostly to brake size rather than how much the truck can actually pull up a hill. I have towed with my truck and found just under 3000 lbs a handfull. A simple way to help that would be a reputable lowering kit of 1-2 inches. The idea is that if the trucks center of gravity is lower, the truck will have more control over the load that it is towing. Obviously things that improve hp and torque (exhaust, intake, tuning chips) will help you tow the trailer more easily. Also any accerories that you put in your trailer or truck will affect the tow rating. I would ask nicely if you could try driving with the trailer unloaded before you purchase it, to see how your truck reacts to the weight.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:10 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

My manual says 6700 max tow for my 98 V6.

kdh, I dont know who teh hell told you that lowering a truck improves control while towing, but slap him upside the head for me. The only way to increase control while trailering is to keep the front of teh vehicle level with the rear when the trailer is attached and thats done with weight distribution hitches. Lowering the truck doesn nothing to help trailering. That can actually lower your safe tow rating. I tow 4000lbs around routinely in my stock height 2wd and dont have any issues with "control".

Up to 4500lbs, ok on regular hitch with a slight rear sag. Over 4500 I use a weight distributing hitch. 3600lb trailer is gonna require electric brakes anyways so your brakes will be fine. The motor has enough to tow it fine. But with a 24' travel trailer, I'd probably go with a weight distribution hitch with sway controls. Definately worth the $400 for teh setup.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:56 PM
harleycowboy

i pulled a 3400 race car and trailer with my 97 3.9 club cab 2 wheel for 5 yrs bed was full of tools floor jack race tires and rims extra fuel other parts did finally blew the motor but wasnt pulling anything at the time my pully retentioner froze up and it ended up over heating engine trailer was a duel axel also was a handfull to stop but had fun at the track rv trailer is probably a little lighter

Old 01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
marcus 1619
Rookie

i pulled a 24 ft travel trailer, with my 02'CC 3.9, from SoCal to Vegas to New Mexico. It pulled it better than i thought it would, but it was SLOW going up grade. And i did have the weight distribution hitch and sway bars---you see a big difference with it i paid alot for mine but i've seen them fairly cheap in those TRADER magazines(auto, bargain etc). One more thing , i carried ten gallons of gas with me, i was getting about 7miles to da gallon!

[IMG]local://upfiles/27443/3FD2531064A94AC1B9C735A345BD0872.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-27-2006, 12:02 PM
marcus 1619
Rookie

forgot to say the trailer weighed 3850.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27443/9DF46E731CE741DD914D7246D123DC09.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Dakota736

I have the same truck 98 3.9L Sport just not extended cab and my manual says 5000 pounds.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:03 PM
28this
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you can go to the link I've listed below and look up your truck down to the more specific of even the ext cab and it will tell you all the stalk specs for your truck to include tow and load capacities.

http://www.automotive.com/used-cars/specifications/
once this link loads click on the specs button in the top right corner. I did yours for you it is listed below. Tow section marked by smileys.

Welcome, Guest
Learn everything you need to know about this model with 1998 Dodge Dakota specifications provided by Automotive.com. View 1998 Dodge Dakota specs, engines, bodystyles, interior and exterior color choices, standard features, options, and more. 1998 Dodge Dakota specs will arm you with knowledge you need when visiting the car dealer or shopping for a car.

1998 Dodge Dakota Specifications
All new 1998 Dodge Dakota specifications at Automotive.com include engine specs, transmission, drivetrain, bodystyle, color choices, standard features and options, and more.

Quick Specs

Body Styles: 2-Dr Ext Cab; 2-Dr Reg Cab Long; 2-Dr Reg Cab Short
Engines: 5.2L V8; 5.9L V8; 3.9L V6; 2.5L Inline 4
Transmissions: 0 Speed Automatic; 4 Speed Automatic; 5 Speed Manual
Drivetrains: Four Wheel Drive; Rear Wheel Drive

1998 Dodge Dakota Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
- 3,916 cc 3.9 liters 6 V front longitudinal engine with 99.3 mm bore, 84.1 mm stroke, 9.1 compression ratio, cast iron block, cast iron head, overhead valve and two valves per cylinder

- Unleaded fuel

- Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 12.4

- Multi-point injection fuel system

- 57 liter fuel tank

- Power: 130 kW , 175 HP @ 4,800 rpm; 225 ft lb , 305 Nm @ 3,200 rpm

1998 Dodge Dakota Handling, Ride & Braking Standard Features
- ABS

- 3.55:1 axle ratio

- Two disc brakes including two ventilated discs

- Fullsize steel rim under body spare wheel

- Wishbone front suspension with stabilizer bar independent with torsion springs , beam rear suspension rigid with leaf springs

1998 Dodge Dakota Exterior & Aerodynamics Standard Features
- Front part-painted bumpers , rear argent bumpers

- Driver and passenger externally adjustable black door mirrors

- External dimensions: overall length (mm): 5,456, overall width (mm): 1,816, overall height (mm): 1,730, ground clearance (mm): 180, wheelbase (mm): 3,327, front track (mm): 1,544, rear track (mm): 1,562 and curb to curb turning circle (mm): 12,558

- Conventional lens halogen bulb single headlights

- Heat reflective glass

- Opening rear ¼ windows

- Black paint , gloss paint , pearl paint

- Straight side pickup bed

- Fixed rear window

- Tinted glass on cabin , tinted glass on rear , privacy tinted glass on side

- Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (kg) 2,359, curb weight (kg) 1,823, gross trailer weight braked (kg) 1,724, front axle weight (kg) 1,542, rear axle weight (kg) 1,436 and max legal load (kg) 658 1,823 kg converts to 4,019 lbs, so stalk you should be able to pull your 3,000 lb trailer.
- Windshield wipers with variable intermittent wipe

1998 Dodge Dakota Interior Standard Features
- Fixed mast antenna

- Front ashtray

- Stereo audio system with AM/FM

- Below seat storage

- Cargo area dimensions: length (mm): 1,981, front width (mm): 1,506 and width between arches (mm): 1,146

- Cargo capacity: all seats in place (liters): 801 and all seats removed (liters): 714

- Rear cargo doors

- Front seats cigar lighter

- Digital clock

- Delayed/fade courtesy lights

- Front seats and rear seats cup holders

- Door pockets/bins for driver seat and passenger seat

- Floor covering: carpet in passenger compartment

- Driver and passenger front airbag

- Split bench seat , split bench seat , split bench seat

- 3-point reel height adjustable front seat belts on driver seat , 3-point reel height adjustable front seat belts on passenger seat , lap static front seat belts on center seat

- Folding front seat center armrest with integral box

- Glove compartment

- Two head restraints on front seats

- Internal dimensions: front headroom (mm): 1,016, rear headroom (mm): 965, front hip room (mm): 1,473, rear hip room (mm): 1,349, front leg room (mm): 1,064, rear leg room (mm): 561, front shoulder room (mm): 1,496 and rear shoulder room (mm): 1,392

- Low fuel level warning

- Low washer fluid level warning

- Power steering

- 3-point reel rear seat belts on driver side , 3-point reel rear seat belts on passenger side , lap static rear seat belts on center side

- Bench asymmetrical three rear seats

- Rear view mirror

- Cloth seat upholstery with additional cloth

- Seating: six seats

- Four speakers

- Plastic steering wheel

- Ventilation system with four fan speeds

Find a used Dodge in your area - Click Here!

Overview Classifieds Reviews Photos Pricing Recalls Safety Specs

Sponsored Links
• GEICO Car Insurance Quote: Official Site
Get an instant quote and see how much you could save.
www.geico.com

• Car Insurance Quote Online
Get your free car insurance quote online and save an average of $415.
www.responseinsurance.com

• Online Car Insurance Quote
Click now for a no-obligation quote on AAA auto insurance. Get quality coverage and superior service at a great rate.
www.aaa.com

• State Farm Insurance
State Farm offers competitive and affordable rates for insurance. Deep discounts for safe drivers, good students and safety features in your car.
www.statefarm.com

Base Extended Cab Pickup | Base Long Bed Regular Cab Pickup | Base Short Bed Regular Cab Pickup

Dodge | Dodge Dealers | Dodge Convertibles | Dodge Coupes | Dodge Hatchbacks
Dodge Minivans/Vans | Dodge Sedans | Dodge SUVs | Dodge Trucks | Dodge Wagons

DEALERS | About Us | Affiliates | PRIVACY | Terms of Use | Feedback | Sitemap
New Cars | Used Cars | Auto Classifieds | Car Reviews | Gas Prices | Auto Loans
Car Dealers | Used Car Dealers | Auto Insurance | Forums
Copyright @ 2006 Automotive.com. All rights reserved.WEB-002

Quick Reply: looking for tow rating for 98 3.9 2whl dakota