2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Should I buy a dakota, truthful thoughts needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:34 PM
LJ93Z28GM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a dakota, truthful thoughts needed

I am looking at picking up a truck mainly just a driver not for work. I might use it a bit but nothing to make it struggle, I work HVAC.

I am taking a hard look at a 2001 regular cab, 4x4, 4.7 v8, auto. 55K on the clock.

What should I be looking for in terms of problems. I know dodge has not always been know for a good trans but what else might I encounter. How are then in terms of other mechanical problems or electrical.

This would fall under the ball joint recall correct??

How bad is the gas mileage, no joke here the truth please.

Also does this have the trans with 2 second gear options based on driving style.

Let me know what you guys think.

I am a chevy guy at heart but do not want to drop the cash for a silverado or sierra at this time but working on this is not a problem in my eyes just do not a pile of junk.

Thanks to all.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:27 PM
BigMike2U
Default RE: Should I buy a dakota, truthful thoughts needed

I love my 98 Dakota.....it all comes down to how much you want to take care of your truck. Basic on time oil/filter changes are a must, but it goes beyoned that! If you invest $23K+ in a truck, why not spend $300 every other year for a full tune up. Divided by 24, it's $15 a month to be top of your game. That's by passing Burger King three times a month to take care of your ride.

Any make is only as good as what you do to take care of it.......I love the Dodge for it's look and reputation. I hope they will dump a Hemi in the 2007......

Old 01-08-2006, 10:13 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I've owned 2 Dakotas, and they have been great trucks. I've owned a V6 and a V8. Both have been reliable and very minimal issues. Again, the ball joint issue is a problem, but that's really the only major issue for that generation Dakota.

Gas mileage on the 4.7L V8 is about 14 mpg in city, 16-19 on the highway if you use cruise religiously like I did. I'd definitely do the tuneups like the previous post stated, and I would most definitely go to synthetic oil.

I think you will like this truck immensely. It's the largest midsize truck, and it was quite fun to drive. Lots of pedal to push and really, it's much better then anything Chevy or GMC has at the low end of the spectrum. I know, I've driven enough of them to know they're crap.

I think this is a good purchase....but it all boils down to two things, comfort and reliability. I used to haul between 1200-1600lbs in my 4.7L v8 Dakota on a regular, dirt and drywall. It handled it quite well. This truck can be a workhorse...and I think it will surprise you.

I'm a tall guy with large feet, so the RC Dakota was a bit small for me, but it wasnt uncomfortable. Just a lil annoying on long trips. Good luck on your purchase, and hopefully you will be joining the Dodge family!

Old 01-08-2006, 10:18 PM
yellerfeller318

Don't get an automatic. everyone I know with a dodge truck has had transmission problems. my old 98 v6, my friend's 98 v8, my other friends 94 v6, and now another friends 00 v6 is slipping. Hmm maybe you might want to consider that. That's truthful.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:14 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Well I've been through 5 heater cores in 3 yrs in my Dakota. Thats with doing recommended coolent changes. Now I have to change coolent every freaking 6 months just to keep ahead of electrolysis.[:@] All I can say is this is teh LAST DC vehicle I'll buy. Older Dodges before Daihmler got their grubby hands on it I'll still look at.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Dakotamig

hey

the only thing wrong that went wrong with my truck was the power steering,, and it fell under waranty.. but other than that i do around 15mpg all round, drives great.. don't regret it at all... it does its share of work..

Old 01-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 98 Dakota and love it as I do all my vehicles. Unfortuantely any vehicle can have their problems, there is no "perfect vehicle" Care and driving habits deeply affect performance. I've been in vehicles with people and I wonder how they hold up as long as they do just by the way they drive. They beat the trans to death ... they stomp on the throttle like gas is 10 cents a gallon only to wait at the next light. I think Dodge builds a truck as good as any of them ... my opinion!

Old 01-09-2006, 04:45 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: yellerfeller318

Don't get an automatic. everyone I know with a dodge truck has had transmission problems. my old 98 v6, my friend's 98 v8, my other friends 94 v6, and now another friends 00 v6 is slipping. Hmm maybe you might want to consider that. That's truthful.
IIRC those are all the older tranny, not the newer one. I haven't really heard much in the way of people having problems with the 545.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:14 PM
jpkomm

I have a 2000 Dak CC 4.7L 4x4 w/ the 45RFE Auto Tranny, and I'm really enjoying it. It rides nice and there is a lot of room for us 6+ footers. I always felt like I was riding in a clown car whenever I got into a compact pickup. I swapped out my tranny fluid (flushed), transfercase fluid, and both differential fluids with AMSOIL synthetic brands and it runs so smooth I can hardly hear it now. It even has a bit more umph! Honestly, any vehicle you own has the possiblity of having problems and there is always a chance something could happen, but thusfar in the couple months I've owned this truck I've grown attatched to it. Another nice thing about Daks is that you can find quite a few bolt-on performance enhancers to help increase your mpg and power. I just added a Poweraid Throttlebody spacer and am getting between 19-20mpg flat highway with a lot more low-end power. Be sure when you take it out for a test drive that it shifts smooth and there isn't noise from the rear end. Also take it in some sharp slow turns (like you would in a parking lot) and see if the rear end does a ercha-ercha-ercha groan. Usually a sign of low or old fluid. I must say that one of the most impressive things I can say about Dodge Dakotas is that they are built on a stout frame with heavy sheet metal... something you could probably walk away from in an accident. The last vehicle I owned was a Toyota Tacoma and, although it was a great truck, you just look at it funny and it would dent or chip. Anyways, goodluck in your decision!

Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 AM
dodgeman4x4
Rookie

I've had too many problems and have sunk too much money into it too quickly to get out. i really regret having this truck. If it didn't brake all the time it would have been a beautiful, awsome performing truck.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a dakota, truthful thoughts needed