2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ignition switch power wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 10:05 PM
Lolprims
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch power wire

I have a 98 dodge dakota sport....the clutch is out but i can start it in first and it takès ofdand the ignition key cylinder is done for... my only option because i cant afford any new parts is to have my ignition stuck on start and put a kill switch on the ignition power wire to keep the trucks battery from being drained. Then all ill have to do is have it in gear and hit the clutch and ill automatically take off. I know it does this because I accidentally got the ignition key cylinder stuck in the start postion and the truck stalled at a stop sign and in accidentally hit the clutch and the vehicle took off..

On what wire and where would i install a kill switch on, so that when i get my ignition key cylinder stuck in the start position in not draining my battery when im not driving?

Old 04-28-2024, 08:28 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 154 Likes on 141 Posts

The wiring for the electrical ignition switch is pretty complicated - 14 wires. It's much more than just a kill switch for what you want to do.

Certain things work in run, but not in Start
Certain things happen in Start, but not in Run (in the ECU)

Your best bet is just to get the key cylinder fixed. I'm also assuming since you're not interested in fixing it from a safety issue, that you don't have inspections there.

1- Fused Battery A
2- Output A (run/start)
3- Output B (run/start)
4- Fused Battery B
5- Key present sense
6- Ground
7- Output C (Run)
8- Output D (HVAC)
9- Output E (Run/Acc)
10- Output F (Run/Acc)
11- Fused Battery C
12- Fused Battery D