2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dakota headlight flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 08:58 PM
billkater
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dakota headlight flash

The lights on my 2002 Dakota are flashing when key is on and headlight switch on. Sometimes it is a real fast continuous flash. Other times it is just every so often. Either way, I can not drive at night with it like this. Also, the dinger goes off when you open the door with key in or out of ignition, and lights on or off.

This is the plain Jane nothing fancy truck. No power locks, no remote, no power windows, no cruise. Only option is ac.

CTM?
Is there a way to test it?
Where can you get one?

Thanks

Bill

Last edited by billkater; 05-12-2024 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-12-2024, 11:14 PM
eray

Did you change bulbs to led? If so you need to get a resistor that will cause it or look for loose connection or frayed wire back probe it and wiggle it slightly if voltage moves around ya got a short in the wire

Old 05-13-2024, 08:35 AM
billkater

Originally Posted by eray
Did you change bulbs to led?
Nope, all original. Only thing not original is the radio. It has been swapped for a android based one. I unplugged it and it still.happens.

I did install a new headliner this weekend. But can't see how that would effect anything.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:11 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Try resetting the CTM. Disconnect battery terminals overnight or disconnect and short them, turn key to start position. Reconnect and test.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:14 PM
billkater

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Try resetting the CTM. Disconnect battery terminals overnight or disconnect and short them, turn key to start position. Reconnect and test.
I unhooked the battery for about 20 minutes with no luck. I will take it off when I get home at 2am and leave it overnight. I also read to check for corrosion on CTM connectors.

Old 05-14-2024, 01:57 PM
Traimondi

I think i had the same issue as you about 2 months ago, headlights flashing/flickering at random, door dinger going off whenever it wanted and my dash lights also would flicker

ended up being the CTM/BCM, pulled one from the junkyard and it fixed everything

Quick Reply: 2002 Dakota headlight flash