2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 Kota 4 High

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 08:38 PM
DemonicDakota710
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 02 Kota 4 High

I have replaced both my Body Control Module and Transfer Case Control Module. I get selector lights to turn on but immediatly go back off and nothing when turning switch but am still stuck in 4 high. Have also checked 4x4 fuse under hood and the one in fuse panel. nothing blown. HELP!!!!! at a complete loss where to go next from here.

Old 07-07-2024, 09:15 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Did you get the vin programmed into the BCM? Not sure if the 02's needed that but might be worth double checking. Check the connector on the transfer case itself. You probably have a bad connection/broken wire. Not terribly uncommon on the NV233 to fail that way. Could also be the motor itself. For future reference you should never pull the parts cannon on computers. They are some of the most reliable parts on your truck. Its usually a connector or wire when you have electrical failure.

The following users liked this post:
DemonicDakota710 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 09:57 PM
DemonicDakota710
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supadoom
Did you get the vin programmed into the BCM? Not sure if the 02's needed that but might be worth double checking. Check the connector on the transfer case itself. You probably have a bad connection/broken wire. Not terribly uncommon on the NV233 to fail that way. Could also be the motor itself. For future reference you should never pull the parts cannon on computers. They are some of the most reliable parts on your truck. Its usually a connector or wire when you have electrical failure.
I haven’t done any programming. Did hook a code reader to it and use ya not throwing codes. Just the service 4wd light in dash. Had it detailed and kid must have switched it over. Didn’t notice and started her up and heard it switch. Switched it back and heard it go. Went to dinner with the wife and in return trip noticed it driving different and noticed tires popping when turning out of parking lot. Read a lot of posts that pointed to the tccm and the nvm so pulled them from a local junk yard so parts really only set me back under $100. So not bank breaking. And cheaper than the actuator motor haha. That was next option but figured I’d ask here first thing. Wires underneath look fine. Haven’t used multimeter yet to test polarity and such yet though.

Old 07-07-2024, 10:59 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

As I understand it the switch checks for communication with the motor every key on. It turns off if it doesn't get a response or a fail state. If I remember right from my 01 if the motor was stuck in a gear it would flash the light at you then refuse input. If you have access to a DRB scan tool you can read the BCM code it has listed. Would tell you where you need to start digging.

Quick Reply: 02 Kota 4 High