2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1996 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 magnum 2WD.. will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 08:47 PM
Gizmo2371
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 magnum 2WD.. will not start

Hi all. I am writing because I have a problem with my truck that stumps my brother and myself. My brother is the mechanic first and foremost. The problem is a little while ago my truck would be going well when driving then for some reason it would cut out and would have trouble restarting. Sometimes while going 60 mph on the highway, it would do this, and sometimes it would do it while turning into my yard or on an on-ramp. This last week it died on me at my doctor's office. Anyways my brother has somewhat narrowed it down to the ASD relay, or the wiring to the PCM, or even the a PCM itself. He is still stumped. The OBD-II has no codes but the test that you can do without a tester comes back with a CODE 42 .

HAVE ANY IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Old 08-29-2024, 08:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,350 Likes on 3,092 Posts

42 Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range, Fuel level unit No change over miles.

Does the gas gauge work? On the 96, I didn't think the PCM even had a clue about fuel level....

When the truck won't start, do you get power to the coil? Keep in mind, you will only see power there for about 3 seconds at initial key-on, then only if the PCM sees the engine turning....

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
Gizmo2371

Originally Posted by HeyYou
42 Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range, Fuel level unit No change over miles.

Does the gas gauge work? On the 96, I didn't think the PCM even had a clue about fuel level....

When the truck won't start, do you get power to the coil? Keep in mind, you will only see power there for about 3 seconds at initial key-on, then only if the PCM sees the engine turning....
gas gauge does work but you really can not go by that. Ever since I got this truck gas guage would say I am full one minute and empty a few minutes later, to half a tank the next.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Either a bad pump module, or a bad connection back there. If the pump itself isn't getting power, the truck certainly won't run... Do you hear the pump prime when it won't start??

Old Today, 09:28 AM
Gizmo2371

Yes I hear the pump priming my brother is going to change out the PCM. WE DID however got the thing runn8ng again by him tinkering with it. But to be on the safe side we are changing the PCM.

Old Today, 10:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Give it a shot, see what happens..... I think you have more than one problem there though..... I would still be checking the connector back at the pump.

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 magnum 2WD.. will not start