2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Seat Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 11:51 AM
treed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Springs

I have a '98 Dakota and both the driver's side and the passenger's side seat springs are busted. My son-in-law's '98 Dakota has the driver's side seat spring busted. Is this a common problem and if so, how easy is it to fix. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:56 PM
BigMike2U
Default RE: Seat Springs

I'm sorry to hear your seats went south on you. I have a 98 Dakota and my seats are nothing but the bomb..just like new! The fabric shows little wear after the 5 years I have owned it. Anyone who rides with me always say I have the most comfortable seats they have sit in lately. The lumbar supports have held up great. If you are not the original owner, it's possible someone pulled a seat swap along the way. Hope you can get your problem resolved. You might consider a salvage/parts yard for replacement if they are uncomfortable.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:54 PM
titan2087
Veteran

my dad has a 98 which he used for a work truck monday-friday and never had any problems with the seats. they held up very well.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:50 PM
harleycowboy

have a 97 and both seats broke also i need some to just more of dodge s junk

Old 01-21-2006, 11:21 PM
kdh97602
Professional

treed - do you have vinal, cloth, or lether? my buddy has cloth ant they are like new, i have herd good things about the lether, my vinal sucked, i say that in the past tence because i had my seat reapolstered and all new springs put in (mostly because i wouldn't let my dog sleep on the seats from the junkyard, let alone use them in my truck)

Old 01-24-2006, 03:03 PM
treed

I have cloth seats. I found a spring from the driver's side and the mounting hole for it had torned through. I drilled a new hole along side it and reattached it. On the passenger seat, it appears to have weak springs, so maybe I will replace these. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:24 PM
habbyguy

I'm helping a buddy with a '98 Sport, and his driver's seat would pretty much take you to the floor. Apparently, this is a very common problem. I tried to pull his seat out, but it was going to require taking both seats plus the center jump seat out, so I just took out the bolts and jacked up the left side of the seat enough so I could work under it. Three of the four springs had pulled through the flimsy steel support, and were long gone when he bought the truck. I considered re-drilling some new holes and getting some new springs, but that takes time, so I go to my junk drawer, see a few big hose clamps and...

Actually, a pretty good fix. I just had to cut small slits in the fabric underneath where no one would ever see it, and loop them up and over the entire frame bar. It should hold (he's no heavyweight). I added a third clamp to the far right (in the photo - far left on the seat). Feels "normal" again.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:35 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

As with anything its all in how you treat it is a big factor in how long it lasts how well its built is the second factor my seats are in great shape.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The seats in my '97 were broken when I got it. The cushions and springs were in ok shape, but the hinges were broken, so the seat backs would recline by themselves any time I got on the gas too hard.

I took them out and replaced them with a pair of Corbeau seats and never had another problem.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:44 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by habbyguy
I'm helping a buddy with a '98 Sport, and his driver's seat would pretty much take you to the floor. Apparently, this is a very common problem. I tried to pull his seat out, but it was going to require taking both seats plus the center jump seat out, so I just took out the bolts and jacked up the left side of the seat enough so I could work under it. Three of the four springs had pulled through the flimsy steel support, and were long gone when he bought the truck. I considered re-drilling some new holes and getting some new springs, but that takes time, so I go to my junk drawer, see a few big hose clamps and...

Actually, a pretty good fix. I just had to cut small slits in the fabric underneath where no one would ever see it, and loop them up and over the entire frame bar. It should hold (he's no heavyweight). I added a third clamp to the far right (in the photo - far left on the seat). Feels "normal" again.
Great idea! I once tried to take the seats out like you said they seem to have to all come out together...PITA. I like the idea of jacking it up for a quick fix.

Quick Reply: Seat Springs