2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Quiet-ing the Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:21 PM
BigMike2U
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet-ing the Transmission.

I've recently noticed more manual tranny noise....I think! At first I thought it was the rearend, but when I push in the clutch and coast it seems to disappear. I read a post somewhere on this forum that someone changed transmission fluid to a synthetic blend and had considerable noise reduction. Can anyone put me in the know?

We have some real knowlegable people here and I'd really appreciate your help. My 98 Dakota has 91K, and runs smooth, but the noise has me concerned. I'm not a gear grinder and I haven't abused the clutch. I have gut feeling I just need to swap fluid...let me know what you think.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Batphreak
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quiet-ing the Transmission.

Which tranny do you have? I had a '99 5.2 with the NV3500, darn thing was just plain whiny. I tried all kinds of things, replaced the fluid, some places said synthetic 5W-20 was good to use I put in Mobil 1 it was quieter warm but much nosier cold, I put MOPAR stuff back in pretty quickly. Last thing I had in it was AMSoil manual tranny fuild, the stuff is a couple bucks per quart (takes 3 fer the NV3500) cheaper than the MOPAR stuff, wasn't any quieter but seemed to work pretty good. I traded the truck off a while ago with 153K on the clock, the AMSoil fluid had been in there for about 10K. Anyway, doesn't help your noise deal, doesn't hurt to change the fluid personally I'd put in the AMSoil stuff just because of the price.

Quick Reply: Quiet-ing the Transmission.