2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need Some Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:18 PM
318Mopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Opinions

I want to get a CAI for my truck, but I cant decide which one to go with. I've narrowed it down to the two that appeal the most: the K&N 57-Series FIPK and the AEM BruteForce DryFlo system. At first I would have instantly assumed the K&N to be a better system altogether, however I've heard several different people talk negatively about their K&N filters. The problem is I havent heard anything about the AME DryFlow systems (I guess they're pretty new).

Please help me decide what to put on my truck. I've heard that here in Arizona (where there is a constant blanket of fine dust in the air) the K&N falls down on the job and lets a lot of particulates into the engine. This is evidenced by two different co-workers of mine telling me of a thin wall of crud forming up on the inside of their K&N filters after less than 10k miles, and a more frequent necessity of oil changes. Another guy tells me to watch out because it is easy to over oil filters that can result in damage to the intake sensors (MAF). I like the idea of the AEM simply because of its simplicity of maintenance and the oil-free design, but I still want more imput! Any replies/advice is greatly appriciated!

Thanks in advance!

-Josh

Old 02-27-2006, 09:33 PM
28this
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Some Opinions

The oiled filters give better protection. From the oil being on the filter it helps catch the finer particles of dirt. Even in the events of your fellow employees. Would you rather have dirt build up on the catching side of your filter or inside your engine? As for more frequent cleaning, it would be feezable in areas like the one you live in because of the extra dust. I like to off road a lot. I use the Airaid instead of the K&N, but it works the same way. I even use the K&N recharge kit on it. I clean it more frequently than needed because of the mud and dirt build up on the filter from off roading. I don't consider this a hassle. It is a part of my way of life because of how I use my vehicle.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Muy_Pyro
Professional

Well ... If I had to pick between those two, I'd chose the K&N ....

However, In my opinion - I would actually choose neither! You would basically get the same performance if you put a drop-in K&N filter in your air-box right now ... and maybe cut a piece of smooth pipe to replace the ribbed, crinkled mess from the factory.

If you look at your stock intake, it is in fact a cold-air intake (drawing in cool air from near the fender well, and sheilding heat from the intake) where as the others SAY they are cold-air kits, but actually would be drawing in hot air from the engine compartment as they show little or no heat shielding. Also to further hender the performance on the AEM, they use aluminum tubing which will cunduct heat all the way up the intake. Also, the metal is subject to corrosion later down the road. Again, I said this before in a other post, if the "cold air" kit is not placing the filter in the fender-well, then I would think it's benifits would be minimal.

Really the factory intake with a K&N will flow plenty of air. I would then take the extra money you saved and buy an Under-pully kit . . . But if you are dead set on getting a "cold air" intake I would probably recommend the S&B as it is a complete kit from filter to air-hat, is made of plastic to resist corrosion and prevent the transfer of heat, and it'll help sheild the filter from both heat and dirt.

Whew . . . well, that's my opinion! Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted on what you do ! !

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-28-2006, 11:54 PM
kdh97602
Professional

pre filter - for use in high dust areas - check the k&n website for them

Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 PM
318Mopar

Thanks very much everyone! Especially you Pyro, thanks everything! Your advice was extremely helpful and your explanation on why NOT to go with the AEM was exactly what I needed to hear. And if it hadn't been for your recommendation of the S&B I never would have considered it (because I had never head of it!). Also thanks for the tips on the stock airbox. I originally planned to raise the lid to allow for a greater volume of airflow, but after some rudimentary measurements I found that there isn't sufficient under-hood clearance to lift it high enough to see any difference in performance (I had a Camaro, and that was the first modification everyone did to their GM F-Body's intake). Anyways I'm grateful to all of you for your help. I'm going to give it some more thought and then let y'all know what I decide.

Thanks again!
-Josh

Old 03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
MikeRT98
Rookie

I have a K&N FIPK intkae on my truck and its great. i first went with a OEM replacement K&N, and i noticed a very slight difference, however the difference the FIPK made was HUGE! if you are worried about dust, K&N makes what they call a 'pre-filter wrap' that supposedly collects a lot of the dust befire it evne hits the filter. these are reasonably cheap and easy to clean. they actually dont look half bad either. i would assume you can use these with any cone style filter, however. good luck with whicever you decide to go with. you also may want to check out AIRAIDE. they are a few bucks cheaper than K&N and are essentailly the same thing, however i swear by the K&N the difference it made on my truck is absolutely unbelieveable. in addition to the intake, i have flowmaster eshaust, headers, MSD wires, underdrive oullys, and even reprogramed my engin management systems and i can firmly say that the K&N FIPK intake amde the biggest gains out of all of those. i kno a few other people with dodge's who have had the same result. every truck i buy from now on it going to have one of these because they work so well.

Quick Reply: Need Some Opinions