2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Replaced some parts / now runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:50 AM
FSEVENTY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replaced some parts / now runs rough

Well, after lots of fighting, and spending money on some parts I really did not need, I got it running good. I ended up buying TWO new cap and rotor sets. The 1st set was some Chinese crap I got on line when I bought all the stuff to redo intake gaskets. The rotor button cracked and broke a piece off! I then went to NAPA and got the good cap. Still did not fix the problem though. I refused to buy new wires because they passed visual inspection and the resistance measures was in line with factory specs. The injector cleaning was probably good to balance the engine better as one injector was in "fair" condition, but that did not fix the problem either. I made a new coil wire out of good Taylor wire I had left over from my Camaro, and followed the TSB for re-routing spark plug wires so that they don't cross over when firing. That did not work.

The final solution was to reindex the distributor to correct the fuel timing. I figured this out because it started to throw a code about intermittent crank/cam position sensor, but I tested them both and they were fine. Reindexing the dist worked great, and I notice that the low end torque has returned. I'm guessing that this was needed after replacing the timing chain.

Anyway, hope this might help someone else out who has a similar problem. Best of all, the fix is free! Just search online for Dodge distributor indexing, or it's probably posted here somewhere.

Quick Reply: Replaced some parts / now runs rough