2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

need help with issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:14 PM
dlowman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with issue

I have 98 dakota, magnum v6 and having an issue I need help sorting out.
The issue is that after driving the car for about 20 mins I lose all power. If I floor the car the tranny will drop down into gear but then it feels like the engine just bogs. No power hardly at all. 50 mph on the hwy is about my best speed when this happens. I don't think it's the tranny because it doesn't rev high enough. The rpms stick around 3000.
I have changed the plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor. I do randomly get a code saying half my cylinders are misfiring. so I am thinking a sensor or maybe a clogged fuel filter?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 04-14-2006, 09:37 PM
PapaSmurf47
Default RE: need help with issue

Id bring it to a garage to have them run the computer thru it to see whats up. Or at least call one and get a few ideas.

My friend had a 85 blazer that was funny like that. It ended up being a retarded carb (cleaned it repeatedly and still same issues, he replaced it later for a different one that fixed it). I know we done have one but maybe its a gummed up injector or something of that nature.

Hope my 2 cents helps.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:41 AM
slayer

i could be your fuel pump. when it gets hot it's shutting down. if you let the truck coll off for about 30 mins. does it run ok for a while

Old 04-15-2006, 03:21 PM
dlowman

Yeah it does seem to run ok once it cools. I hear the fuel pump on these is in the tank though lol can't be easy replace.

Dan

Quick Reply: need help with issue