2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

dakota check engine code???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 04:11 PM
oldtruckluvr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dakota check engine code???????

I have a 2002 dakota with a 3.9. I just put some sea foam through the engine to clean up the injectors. Now my check engine light with the code p0455. it is the evap system major leak. i had it reset and came back on about 3 days later. what do i need to do to fix the problem, because i know there is no leak. thanks

Old 04-18-2006, 12:21 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dakota check engine code???????

Find the leak or the faulty sensor, that's how you fix it. How do you know there's no leak?

Old 04-18-2006, 12:40 AM
oldtruckluvr

Not totally sure there is no leak, but the light never kicked in until i put seafoam in the engine. any cheap ways to check for leak instead of having it smoked by the dealership?

Old 04-18-2006, 04:55 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beats me. evap minor leak is usually just a loose gas cap, major leak though? I don't even know where you'd find a major leak. It's odd that it showed up right after the seafoam. Very odd. Good luck man

Old 04-18-2006, 11:23 PM
JetNoise
Professional

EVAP major leak could also be caused by a loose fuel cap. It could also be caused by a leaking / cracked / loose vacuum hose.

I am thinking that maybe when you put the Sea-Foam in, in addition to cleaning the injectors, it also cleaned other things. This may have knocked loose dirt, grease, or grime, that was blocking a leak. This is just a semi-educated guess.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:40 PM
dakotaquadsport

ORIGINAL: JetNoise

EVAP major leak could also be caused by a loose fuel cap. It could also be caused by a leaking / cracked / loose vacuum hose.

I am thinking that maybe when you put the Sea-Foam in, in addition to cleaning the injectors, it also cleaned other things. This may have knocked loose dirt, grease, or grime, that was blocking a leak. This is just a semi-educated guess.

Or a leaky gas cap. Try replacing that, and see what happens. Gotta start somewhere. I chased the same same code around myself and ended up the dealer. Lucky I know the guy pretty well, he just told me to replace the cap, and bring it back to reset the computer. Never came back. Just something to start with I guess.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:41 PM
oldtruckluvr

maybe it is the fuel cap, because i did put a locking gas cap on before i got the code. i put the original back on and reset the code. i will let you know what happens. thanks for all the replies

Old 04-30-2006, 01:36 PM
oldtruckluvr

Put original cap back on and reset the code, light did not come back on so i think i found my problem! thanks for all the replies!

Quick Reply: dakota check engine code???????