2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

PO171 & PO132 help!!!!! Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:53 PM
fritodad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PO171 & PO132 help!!!!! Please

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota 3.9 litre with 76,000 mikes on it. Recently on a camping trip my check engine light came on. when i returned home i hooked it up to the code reader and was given two codes PO171 and PO132. PO171 is Generic System Too Lean (Bank 1) and code PO132 is Generic O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1). Now or the question What in the world does this mean i mean what sensors or where do i start looking for trouble at. I have heard it could be an oxygen sensor or maybe a bad catalytic converter. Is this all it could be how can i troubleshoot these systems and is there other systems i should also troubleshoot. I am hoping i can do this myself as a shop is really not in the budget right now. any help would be apreciated. thanks again.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:14 AM
01dakota
Rookie
Default RE: PO171 & PO132 help!!!!! Please

I dont think it's the cat converter because I beleive the sensor refered to the upstream (02 sensor #1) which is before the cat converter. First off I would check the wiring for the o2 sensor(s). Check the connector and make sure it's nice and tight and that it's not corroded. I would also check to make sure there arent any vacume hoses for the intake system cracked or missing/loose. After that I'm just pissin in the wind but maybe a partially blocked fuel filter. Ummmm, If I can think of anything elase then I'll chime back in. By the way, I'm posotive it's the upper oxygen sensor the codes are refering to. The lower one is the same but it reads how the cat converter is doing not the other stuff. I do know though, that sometimes when you replace one of them that the other one will have to be replaced a short time after. Hopefully it's the wiring.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:22 PM
fritodad

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

can anyone tell me if bank 1 sensor 1 is left side (drivers) or right side (passenger) as the shop who i paid 70.00 to told me its the drivers side before the cat however the dealer told me it was the passenger side before the cat. well they agree on one thing however being the sensors are 100.00 to 150.00 depending on the side i would prefer not to replace one that i dont have to for the fun of it. the guy at the shop claimed that it was the drivers side and he was sure as it depended on the engine and the cylinders location. just for the record its a 3.9 litre engine does anyone else care to muddy the waters or preferably help clear them up. any help will be appreciated.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:38 AM
01dakota
Rookie

According to the manual I have right in front of me the bank 1 is the driver side closest to the engine and bank 2 is the passenger side after the cat. The codes you have refer to left bank. The manual desribes left bank as the one after the cat on the pass. side. This doesn't make sence to me because this one only measures the performance of the cat but who am I to argue with the repair manual. Also, do a check online, there are places online you can get the bosh universal sensors for your make for much less than that price. The one for my wifes car was $160 and I got it for $28 + shipping from a place in New Jersey online within 3 days. I has worked perfect for 3 years now. Tomorrow I will try to find out what it was.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:46 AM
marcus 1619
Rookie

drivers side , the sensor before the cat

Old 04-27-2006, 05:47 AM
fritodad

[sm=thanx.gif]

I want to thank all of you for your help i have replaced the suspect 02 sensor and cleared the codes and so far so good seems to be running great again. However if anyones interested in what it takes to change this sensor out lets just say if i find the guy who designed the wireing harness for my truck he better run the opposite direction. the sensor after the cat would have been a quick fix like under 20 minutes however the one before the cat you can get to it fairly easily however the wireing harness that it plugs into is hidden up above the tranny and took some major contortionist moves to get to. overall about 5hours later it was done.

Quick Reply: PO171 & PO132 help!!!!! Please