2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

looking at '03 4.7L quad cab...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 02:59 PM
hoboscratch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at '03 4.7L quad cab...

Hey all, I'm looking at a 2003 4.7L Quad Cab STL with 80K on it. I've gotten a bit scared after reading about all of the potential sludge problems with this engine. Being warmer now, is there a way that I can check to see if this has a potential sludge problem without dropping the oil pan? Also, what is the frequency at which this happens? Is it pretty much a rare thing that gets a lot of coverage by owners or is it something that is really that common? Anything else I should be concerned with on these pickups?

Additionally, how many miles do these trucks average, assuming its had proper maintenance. I had a cherokee with an I6 that got me up over 200K, and my dad has an f150 that has been running since the beginning of time, with very little major mechanical problems. Could I expect something similar out of these engines/trannys or will I be expected to have major problems after a particular mile marker?

I also know to check about the ball joints. I haven't talked to the dealer about it yet, just been driving by looking at it for the past week or so.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: looking at '03 4.7L quad cab...