2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P0455 EVAP Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:19 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0455 EVAP Problem

Can anyone help? I have the "Check Engine Light" on and I've managed to read the code with my Superchips programer as P0455 which is "EVAP system-Large Leak Detected".
I've used the programer to turn the light off but it comes back soon after. I read the section on the EVAP system in my Haynes manuel and I think its a matter of checking all the hoses but if anyone know different I'd be greatful to hear it. The leak is in fact a vacuum leak, not fuel. My only concern is that it only started after I started using an Octane booster. Is that coincidence or could it have attacked any of the hoses in the EVAP system because some goes down the tank over-flow whenever I pour a bottle in.

Thanks, Paul

Old 04-27-2006, 12:35 PM
stonecold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P0455 EVAP Problem

Go buy a new gas cap!!!! Seriously I have a 2000 dak and mine kept showing small leak then it turned into large leak detected. I could always smell fuel when it was warming up in the mornings also. I went down to checker automotive and bought a new gas cap, got the supertuner out and cleared the codes... Voila all fixed....[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 05-02-2006, 11:09 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: P0455 EVAP Problem

Hi Stonecold,
Thanks for the advice on the filler-cap. Around the same time as I started to use the octaine booster I bought a locking filler cap from a Jeep dealer who assured me it would fit the Dodge (we don't Dodge officialy over here). Luckerly I had kept the old cap and since fitting it and clearing the code, it hasn't returned. I'd still like to get a locking cap though!

Thanks again,

Paul

Quick Reply: P0455 EVAP Problem