2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

iPod radio interface

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 05:07 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod radio interface

So I bought the stupid expensive ($199) interface kit from Best Buy so I could listen to my iPod without getting pissed off at the crappy FM modulator reception, and I'm quite happy with it. It took me about 45 minutes to figure out how to take the dash apart and install the cable, but it was worth it. The iPod charges always, turns off with the ignition, plays crystal clear, the steering wheel controls work (so much as track forward and backward), and it's got a nice little holder that I haven't got a clue where to mount.

So I've got this pile of stereo equipment just sitting around and really the factory system is doing me just fine. Maybe someday I'll put it into something, until then it's a complete waste of a lot of money. [:@]

Old 04-30-2006, 08:16 PM
BoeingMan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: iPod radio interface

ORIGINAL: horatio102

So I bought the stupid expensive ($199) interface kit from Best Buy so I could listen to my iPod without getting pissed off at the crappy FM modulator reception, and I'm quite happy with it. It took me about 45 minutes to figure out how to take the dash apart and install the cable, but it was worth it. The iPod charges always, turns off with the ignition, plays crystal clear, the steering wheel controls work (so much as track forward and backward), and it's got a nice little holder that I haven't got a clue where to mount.

So I've got this pile of stereo equipment just sitting around and really the factory system is doing me just fine. Maybe someday I'll put it into something, until then it's a complete waste of a lot of money. [:@]

Are you trying to say that you had bought an aftermarket sound system to replace your factory unit, but haven't installed it yet. However, now that you hooked up just the ipod interface to your factory unit you are now satisfied and will not be installing the aftermarket stuff to your Dodge?

Anyway I too had originally bought the interface that your are talking about from Best Buy. Its called the "IPod2Car" interface kit. It is quite expensive at $199.00 ( 212.00 including tax). I bought it for my Vette Roadster. After opening the package it came in, I too found that the holster for mounting the actual IPod was just about useless. It was big and buky thereby defeating the purpous of having a thin compact IPod to begin with. The sound however of the IPOD coming through my 6 speaker OEM Bose was absolutely grand. No interferance, crystal clear, and of CD quality.

I subsequently found just the IPOD interface itself, without the holster (wich I didn't need and couldn't use anyway), for 132.00 (includes shipping and was my final cost) on EBay. ...So I returned my IPOD interface purchase from the Best Buy, and instead made my purchase from EBay and my final savings was 70.00.

Now I know this is a Dodge Dakota forum, so what the hell am I telling you about my vette install? Well, the original post included info on the IPod/Best Buy purchase/install, so you Vette haters cut me some slack :0)

Anyway to continue...I also own a beutifull almost flawless 2000 Dakota and I recently took out the OEM Head Unit and installed an IPOD ready Alpine model # " CDA-9856" head unit. It conects your IPOD to the back of the alpine with out using any $130-$200 interface kits. My IPOD also plays crystal clear and CD quyality through it. However it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it sounds in my vette. This is, altogether understandable, however, considering the lousy OEM speaker system in my Dak. I will soon upgrade the speakers and all shoud be outstanding in my music world once again.

Enjoy your install
Matt

Old 04-30-2006, 10:23 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah, it's old stereo stuff from several cars ago. Eclipse head unit, cd changer, polk component 6.5 mids, eclipse 6.5 mids w/ externall xover, phoenix gold xmax 12, PG xs2500, fosgate series 1 4600x.

I'm planning on picking up a Miata for more of a daily driver (and recepticle for my 5.0 eventually) so some of it will wind up in there.

I thought about getting one of the Alpine decks, but honestly the stock stereo sounds pretty good. Did you not have the infinity system? Also, iirc the steering wheel controls are useless with the Alpine.

I've seen the cables for $99 elsewhere, but I wasn't sure if they had as much function.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:43 AM
BoeingMan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: horatio102

Nah, it's old stereo stuff from several cars ago. Eclipse head unit, cd changer, polk component 6.5 mids, eclipse 6.5 mids w/ externall xover, phoenix gold xmax 12, PG xs2500, fosgate series 1 4600x.

If I had this stuff just laying around...well lets just say it wouldn't be laying for long. It would be installed in my dak in about a drum beat. All except maybe for a smaller subwoof. I have the OEM cheapo sound sys in my truck ('cept for the new Alpine Head). It really is pretty bad. The speakers HAVE GOT TO GO like right NOW!

I totally agree about your steering wheel controls for sound becoming useless if you had gone with the Alpine. Also another outstanding feature about the IPOD2Car interface is that it still alows you to control your IPod via the Ipod itself if you like.

Enjoy your stuff
Matt

Quick Reply: iPod radio interface