2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'01 QC 4.7L with engine starting problems/issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
ccdoggy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 QC 4.7L with engine starting problems/issues

I am kinda a newbie and posting this for my dad so here goes.

My dad has a 4.7L QC with 40k miles and rescently the thing has gotten really hard to start. What happens is you engage the starter and normally it just jumps off and goes but now its like the starter needs to be engaged helping the engine get up to 500rpm before you can disengage it. Like the motor is stiff and needs help getting to that point to sustain itself. The truck is stored outside most of the time and this happens when ever it hasent been started for a few hours. however if I were to start it and then kill it and then start it again the same problem would happen. If it has been running for a while it is fine to start again.

Thanks for the help i really have no clue what is goin on

Old 06-08-2006, 04:32 AM
Dakota Daniel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '01 QC 4.7L with engine starting problems/issues

Well, unfortanutely there are so many issues that could be connected to your problem. I would normally say, for this situation, for a qualified mechanic to check your truck out. As far as the Haynes manual troubleshooting goes, there are multiple troubleshooting topics detailed for your issue. I'll name a few, maybe you can identify a problem. If not, I'd say take her in the shop for some expertise....

1. idle speed incorrect
2. Fuel filter clogged/impurities in system
3. Faulty emissions components
4. Incorrectly gapped plugs
5. Vaccuum leak at throttle body, intake manifold, or vacuum lines

1. Plugged pcv valve or hoses
2. Air filter blockage (most likely not)
3. Fuel pump not delivering fuel to injectors properly
4. Leaking head gasket
5. uneven or low cylinder compression

Those are 10 of many many possibilities...It is odd at 40k, but a couple of my friends have had to replace their starters in the QC Daks. I have not, but just do some basic checks that might eliminate some guess work. Could easily be something as simple as bad gas (since you have to aide the engine when starting). Have you tried 91Octane with some fuel injector cleaner??? Let me know man, good luck...

Quick Reply: '01 QC 4.7L with engine starting problems/issues