2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:43 PM
kopacko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust

Who makes a dual exhaust kit for the Dakota's?

Old 06-12-2006, 01:13 PM
OneBadKota
All Star
Default RE: Dual Exhaust

I believe Flowmaster does, Gibson does, and Magnaflow does. The Magnaflow is stainless steel which I'd recommend if you live in a snowy state with salt.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:01 PM
jordanu23
Professional

make sure u read the post called like 3.9 1 in 2 out. since u have a 3.9 u'll wanna read this.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:16 PM
lil
Captain

Curious why would you want to put dual exhaust on a V6?

Old 06-12-2006, 05:35 PM
kopacko

More air in and more air out make for more HP and easier breathing make for better gas mpg!

I am also looking to pull that water pump off the pulleys and put in an electric one for more hp and mpg

Old 06-12-2006, 05:38 PM
kopacko

I read the 1 in 2 out post and something was done wrong to lose torque.

I have not sat down got under the truck to learn the exhaust setup, so I am a little behind the curve.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll tell you what was done wrong, TOO MUCH PIPE.

Your exhaust has to be a balance between low rpm scavenging and high rpm flow. If you get too large of an exhaust pipe (or go duals that are too large), you WILL lose low RPM power. Scavenging of exhaust gasses requires high velocity at low RPM. The pulses create a vacuum in the manifolds and actually suck unburned mixture out of the cyls.

When you go too big on your exhaust pipes, the gasses slow down due to increased volume to fill but constant supply volume. It's like draining a garden hose into a fire hose. What squirts out of a garden hose will only trickle out of a fire hose. Add to that the effect of the gasses cooling off faster due to increased surface area. The gasses cool off and the molecules contact and slow down even more.

Vehicles with forced induction can get away with more due to the positive manifold pressure under boost, but will still see an off-boost loss. The problem is doubly compounded if you have a high overlap cam, where spent gasses can actually be driven up into the intake manifold before being reintroduced into the cyls.

Figure that a 2.5L should have about 2" pipe, 2.25" max. A 5.9 should have about a 3" single. A 3.9L would probably benefit most from about a single 2.5" or so.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:52 PM
kopacko

Horatio...I would agree.

I took my Mach1 up to 3" pipes without changing the air induction and saw a huge gain in low end hp/tq.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:13 PM
jordanu23
Professional

if u want the look of duals why not go with a single in and single out then find someone that can do pipe work and spit the pipes and have them come out duals in the back. that would work wouldnt it. then u have the performance for a v6 from a single in single out and the look of duals

Old 06-13-2006, 07:01 PM
kopacko

I am going to probably get my custom performance shop to build me some pipes to carry from the headers back to a muffler per header setup. Not sure I see the need for a H or X pipe but maybe.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust