2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Overhead lights installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 04:27 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overhead lights installed

Part 3 of my series titled "Get your truck ready for use" is installing my Hella Rallye 4000 driving lights.

I got sick and tired of tripping over them in my basement stairwell, so I decided to put them on my truck. The front bumper doesn't stick out far enough to install them up there without them becoming the primary striking face, so I went with the overhead installation. I mounted them on my Yakima roof rack on top of my canopy. It took several hours to run the wires, go to the store and get different wire, blah blah blah. But they're up there now and I plan on aiming them tonight. They do make my truck look a little bit like Mickey Mouse, with two big ears sticking up, but whatever. I don't care. 260 watts of glorious light shining down from the heavens makes it worthwhile.

And yeah, I know they're not legal for use on-road.

Part 1: Rewire the canopy with a boat trailer (4-wire) plug for easy removal. Add a new dome light.
Part 2: Install a hitch stinger storage bracket and Hellwig overload assist springs.
Part 3: Install off-road driving lights.
Part 4: To be announced when I figure out what it is.

Quick Reply: Overhead lights installed