2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Performance Upgrades - 03 3.9L V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:25 PM
bpm555
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Upgrades - 03 3.9L V6

New Dodge Dakota owner of an 03 3.9L V6. I have already realized that I should have bought a V8. However, in that I have the V6 I would like to improve its performance and fuel economy. I’m sure that my questions are redundant but I’ll ask for your help anyway.

I have already installed an Airaid Intake, Airaid Throttle Body Space and a JET 180-degree Thermostat. The combination of the three has made a difference but I’m looking for more. Two additional considerations: 1. Looking at either a JET 90001 Performance Module or a Superchips Max Micro Tuner. 2. Eventually would like to install a free flow exhaust but that’s down the road.

Question 1 – Do I go with the JET Performance Module or the Superchips Max Micro Tuner? What do you think? What can I expect out of one or the other?
Question 2 – Considering the Flowmaster 40 single in/dual out based on other postings that I have read. Not sure of the part number? Is this the best option? Adding cab noise is not my interest. Seeking improved sound and performance.
Question 3 – What else can be done to the V6 to help it out?

I would very much appreciate any advice that could be offered. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2006, 02:58 AM
lil
Captain
Default RE: Performance Upgrades - 03 3.9L V6

I had a 2003 Dakota SXT V6 and I traded it in on a 2004 Dakota SLT V8 for the very reason you will down the road figure out there is almost nothing short of a supercharger that will give you what you are looking for but in the mean time I can tell you this for a fact.

The Flowmaster sounds the best on the V6 but be carefull how "Freeflowing" you make that V6 or you will find a lot of your low end reduced.

I had a single in single out Flowmaster 40 standard installed on my 2003 and went with the same on my 2004 and am very happy with the sound and performance.

I also did the Airaid Cold Air Intake kit and with the Flowmaster it sounds great, but I have yet to try the Airaid Throttle Body Spacer did it make much of a low end diff on your truck?

Old 07-04-2006, 03:02 AM
lil
Captain

OOPS posted twice hehe

Old 07-07-2006, 10:29 AM
bpm555

I installed the throttle body spacer, air intake & the thermostat all at the same time. The cumulative result was positive. Not sure how much was gained specifically from the TBS.

Getting back to the Flowmaster, would you stay with the single in/single out or consider the single in/dual out? Like you, I'm concened about the effect on the low end. Please advise. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2006, 11:37 PM
robrtx

Brian,

With regards to the Jet vs. Superchips, I went with the Superchips because I had read that the Jet module does not actually re flash the ECM, but is somehow installed to work with the existing ECM flash. The apparent problem with this is that the ECM "learns" and adjusts for the change so that eventually the performance decreases and you need to "re-set" it. I cannot confirm this but I have read of this happening.

The Superchips Tuner actually stores the factory ECM flash and installs its own flash which can be removed anytime and put back to stock if you want. You can select between three flashes: 1. 91 Octane Performance, 2. 87 Octane Economy, and 3. 91 Octane towing based on your personal needs or preference. You can also increase the factory set speed limit, rev limits, and adjust for other than factory tire size. I don't know how this performs on a V6 but I love it on my V8. Install is simple and takes less than 10 minutes.

As far as exhaust, you may want to consider Magnaflow. I went with a cat back system, single in-single out (a bit pricey) and a hi-flow cat. Sound is deep, mellow but not excessively loud. Magnaflow products are also all Stainless Steel (including hangars, clamps, and hardware) which I expect will hold up nicely in New England winters.

Rgrds,
Bob

Old 07-08-2006, 07:28 PM
bpm555

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the Micro Tuner, greater flexibility.

Quick Reply: Performance Upgrades - 03 3.9L V6