2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 01:39 AM
wannadakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Spacer

I was in my local parts shop, mulling over whether to get an Airaid CAI ($350 Cdn) or a K&N filter ($60 Cdn). My aim is fuel efficiency, not more power. I realize that the 4.7 is not a fuel sipper, but I do a lot of highway driving and every little bit counts. I settled on the K&N filter and, as I was making the payment, the guy at the counter suggested an Airaid Spacer ( http://www.airaid.com/300-574_dodge.asp ). He said that it, along with the new air filter, would give the same fuel savings as the CAI, but not the hp gains. Has anyone tried one of these? Any impressions with the 4.7?

Thanks

Old 07-08-2006, 02:02 AM
kikoy
Rookie
Default RE: Throttle Body Spacer

he is just trying to make a sale......on modern engines(i.e. 4.7l) it does not need turbulence since the fuel is injected @ the intake valves....i see the TBS to be beneficial if you had a Throttle body injectorn and or a carburated engine.......

thas just my .02 cents though

Old 07-08-2006, 03:03 AM
wannadakota

Thanks for you advice. I did some internet searching after I posted, and came up with much of the same opinion. I am still wondering if anyone has tried it with the 4.7, though (good or bad).

Since you say that you work in the performance industry, are there any other cost-effective ways to improve the mileage of my truck? I have looked at CAIs, K&N filters (already installed), and replacing the silencer box with a smooth pipe.

And I'm not Filipino, but I grew up in a neighbourhood of them...pass the ensaymadas!

Old 07-08-2006, 03:52 AM
kikoy
Rookie

ORIGINAL: wannadakota

Thanks for you advice. I did some internet searching after I posted, and came up with much of the same opinion. I am still wondering if anyone has tried it with the 4.7, though (good or bad).

Since you say that you work in the performance industry, are there any other cost-effective ways to improve the mileage of my truck? I have looked at CAIs, K&N filters (already installed), and replacing the silencer box with a smooth pipe.

And I'm not Filipino, but I grew up in a neighbourhood of them...pass the ensaymadas!
nice.....salamat dre....anyway to get good milage is.......just do the regular maintainace service on your trruck and you should be able to get good mileage.....also its mostly on the driver's driving habits and maintain the proper air pressure in your tires......_

Old 07-08-2006, 03:56 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skinny freeway ribbed tires, tall gearing, and a bed cover of some sort will all help.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:25 AM
lil
Captain

Go for the Airaid CAI and forget the TB Spacer (they are a complete waste of money).
I have the 4.7 and when I added the (DODGE DAKOTA V8 4.7 AIRAID Intake System w/ Tube) get the full kit not just the filter and box, go and check out http://www.airaidsales.com and see which one fits your year of Dakota I have the 4.7 2004 SLT and I gained both power and fuel efficiency....but this is how it works out......you get power only when you push the peddle hard knowing full well you are going to get power and loose some of your gas mileage.....or if you are light on the gas peddle you get the extra miles per gallon....in my case I gained an adv. or 3MPG and on a 250 mile freeway trip I got 20.8MGP, so it pretty much depends on how you are driving during that tank of gas.....note I had changed the stock muffler to a Flowmaster 40 standard but I don't think this did much but give my truck a nice sound.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:28 PM
wannadakota

Thanks, Lil. I have installed the K&N filter, to see what results that gets. If I'm not satisfied, I will try the Airaid. How's your hurt baby coming along?

Old 07-11-2006, 01:39 AM
lil
Captain

I found out friday once they completed the tear down they are going to have to replace the bed now......so the repair cost is still climbing but looks like it will get its approval tomorrow then the body shop can order all the parts, install and paint then I should be good to go I am thinking prob like 2 more weeks.....so hard to not have my truck and drive a rental car feels like I am riding on the ground hehe

Old 07-12-2006, 06:04 AM
demarco0129
Professional

is getting a tonneau cover the most cost effective way of getting better mpg? I have been contemplating getting a cheap soft cover for my truck to get a couple extra mpg, but dont want to spend the money if it isnt going to help as much as i have heard. i have read a couple of places that they say it increases mpg by 10%?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 PM
izanuff

try adding a few about 2 ounces of pure acetone to every 10 gallons of gas.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer