2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

squishy brake fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:58 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default squishy brake fix

last summer I swapped the front rotors/brakes to powerstop ones on my wifes Dak, brakes were good but not great... flushed the lines with fresh synthetic fluid and still acted the same. talked to some techs about it and one of them suggested adjusting the rear brakes. found out that there is an access port on the back of the rear drums. poped off the little rubber gromit and there's the rear brake adjuster. cranked it down some and took it for a spin and wam, nice brakes now. I think I adjusted it a little tighter in there as well but what i'm getting at is if your brake suck check your rear shoes for adjustment. this took me about 5 minutes to do with a small screwdriver.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:02 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: squishy brake fix

Yup. I need to check mine out. The brakes on my Ram are way more responsive, but I just put new shoes in and adjusted them.

The other thing to consider is getting braided stainless brake lines to replace the OEM rubber stuff. As it gets hot (or old) the rubber can stretch, so you lose brake efficiency.

Quick Reply: squishy brake fix