2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Cross-Threaded Guide Pin Bolt on Front Brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 03:42 AM
Blue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross-Threaded Guide Pin Bolt on Front Brake

Ugh.

Did the front brakes on my brother's 2001 Dodge Dakota. All went well, until we put in one of the guide pins, torqued it to the proper amount, and then the darn thing just started spinning in the hole. Nooooooooooooo!

I feared that we had busted the guide pin. But, we pulled the guide pin out, and it was still completely intact. However, there were metal shavings in the threads, which leads me to believe that we stripped out the threads in the steering knuckle.

That particular guide pin was really hard to get out in the first place, so I don’t know if it may have been cross-threaded from the factory.

What do I do? Like I said, the guide pin in completely intact, but the threads in the steering knuckle itself look like they're all stripped out. Is there a way out of this, besides replacing the steering knuckle?

Old 07-22-2006, 06:24 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cross-Threaded Guide Pin Bolt on Front Brake

wait.

going off memory here but don't those slider pins bolt into the caliper bracket, and not the knuckle itself? You may just need to get a new one of those.

I replaced my calipers and one of the fuggers came with SAE hex heads instead of metric. What a dumb PITA that was, until I realized I could just hijack the ones off the OEM calipers.

Quick Reply: Cross-Threaded Guide Pin Bolt on Front Brake