2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

14 miles per gallon -- OUCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:54 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 14 miles per gallon -- OUCH

ORIGINAL: BusyAsHell

ORIGINAL: RP Racing940

Its a truck. Want better mileage, buy a hybrid.

Hell 14-18 with a Dodge IS good.
Hybrid's don't get better mileage in the long run. Just better emissions.
and they suck *****. lol.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:55 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RP Racing940

Its a truck. Want better mileage, buy a hybrid.

Hell 14-18 with a Dodge IS good.
Hybrid's don't get better mileage in the long run. Just better emissions.

Uh you got E85 and hybrid mixed up.

Funny how when someone buys a truck, they whine about mileage. Had a good laugh at some woman who was SCREAMING that it costed her $80 to fill her 97 or 98 Suburban (didnt even have a hitch) when teh gas hit 2/gal the first time. She was screaming at the cashier. As she walked out I yelled "Maybe you should had thought about that BEFORE buying a vehicle that gets 10mpg". EVERYONE was just starting at her during her tirade.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:14 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

Had a good laugh at some woman who was SCREAMING that it costed her $80 to fill her 97 or 98 Suburban (didnt even have a hitch) when teh gas hit 2/gal the first time. She was screaming at the cashier. As she walked out I yelled "Maybe you should had thought about that BEFORE buying a vehicle that gets 10mpg". EVERYONE was just starting at her during her tirade.
Haha.. I would have loved to see that.

Don't get me wrong, they shouldn't expect to get 20MPG, but, I don't usually take the route of saying "hey, why'd you buy a truck if you want good mileage, stupid?" Especially if they are just asking for ways to get better mileage.
14MPG with over-size tires, and the 3.9L (which isn't the strongest motor Chrysler has put in these trucks, lol, but i'm happy with mine) is what I would guess about normal for combination driving (leaning more so city than highway).
By far the easiet way to get better MPG's is drive easier on the gas.
You can also try running some fuel injector cleaner every now and than, and perhaps use some SeaFoam engine treatment, to get the valves good 'n clean. Also, running synthetics should help a little bit (in the differantials, engine, transmission, etc).
I've heard a cold air intake and exhaust can help too.
But, at the end of the day, we have to realize, yup, it's a truck. If you do mostly city driving, you will probably never break more than 15MPG. If you do mostly highway, maybe up to 20 depending on many, many factors (weather [temperature, direction of wind, etc.], A/C on or off, condition of road, speed, tires, modifications to the exterior of vehicle that can increase drag [lifts, lights up top, etc.], etc).
I'm happy with my 12MPG city, 18-19MPG highway truck.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:16 PM
BusyAsHell

Sorry RP, But you must be taking my question the wrong way. I was simply asking what mods would HELP gas mileage. If i was bitching about anything it's about the price of gas ONLY. True there are people that buy trucks without doing the research on them first. However, this is my fifth truck, two of which were V8's so I'm very aware of average mpg.

I'm aware of E85, which in itself is a joke. With the hybrids, if you sit down and do the math, the amount of dollars you pay extra for the car equals out to the gas you would spend in the long run, therefore, they are no cheaper. I know nothing about the up and coming hydrogen hybrids though. Will they be any better?

Old 07-24-2006, 12:29 AM
batman13
Grand Champion

better mileage, HA
I am damn proud of my 17-20, leadfoot, 4-cyl dak
i love this truck and When this engine gets ready to get up and go, I'll builds a twin turbo 408 and cut mileage in half.
I got a scooter i use back and forth to work when the weathers nice. it gets 60-70 MPG.
I don't worry about getting better mileage, i just drive less.

E85 is no joke, hybrids are.
mods that would help are: plugs, wires, elec. fan, tonneau cover, underbody panels...
this list goes on and varies
________
CandyCumz

Last edited by batman13; 09-03-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:41 AM
LAKOTA169
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86

I remember when gas was a buck a gallon and I didn't have to worry period, I didn't drive. Of course, as soon as I started driving, it hit $2 a gallon, and, now its like $3. [:@]
I guess that dates me then. My first car was a vw bug and when i bought it I pulled into the gas station and got gas for 95 cents per gallon. They are predicting up toward 4 bucks per gallon this fall. Maybe I'll go back to a Harley. What really sucks is my other car is a jeep wrangler and it's getting around 17 miles.
I remember paying 16 cents per gallon and driving a bored, balanced, and blueprinted '64 GTO getting 10 mpg.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:49 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

ORIGINAL: batman13
I agree.
I come from a state (Illinois) that is heavily into growing corn (ethanol) and soybeans (biodiesel) and the farmers are firm believers in both.
It's better for the economy (more dependable than Middle Eastern countries), better for America (grown by hard working Americans), and, as a side bonus, better for the environment. (And a little cheaper, too.)
Sure, apparently you get a slight decrease in mileage. So what?
Heck, even if it cost a little more than conventional gas and still provided the slight decrease in mileage, I'd buy it... your sending the money to American farmers, not some guy in Saudi Arabia who doesn't feel your pain. These farmers work for their money, and they do a damn good, often looked-over, job. *And don't use the excuse, "they use illegal immigrants to pick the corn, that money doesn't stay in America" No, they use big, very expensive machines (made by American companies) to pick the corn*
Unfortuantly for me, my truck is only rated for 10% ethanol. But still, 10% is better than 0%.
I believe biodiesel and ethanol is going to be the "wave of the future" long before hydrogen or any of that other garbage: it's made out of soybeans and corn, which are readily available to us (go anywhere in the MidWest and you have mile after mile after mile of it!) and its, for the most part, already compatible with the infrustructure we already have. (A lot more so than switching to hydrogen, which, of course, is readily available in the air, but no filling station is ready for it).

Old 07-24-2006, 01:59 AM
BusyAsHell

ORIGINAL: LAKOTA169

I remember paying 16 cents per gallon and driving a bored, balanced, and blueprinted '64 GTO getting 10 mpg.
Yay. Someone older than me here! Do you still have that goat?

Old 07-24-2006, 02:04 AM
BusyAsHell

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86

I agree.
I come from a state (Illinois) that is heavily into growing corn (ethanol) and soybeans (biodiesel) and the farmers are firm believers in both.
It's better for the economy (more dependable than Middle Eastern countries), better for America (grown by hard working Americans), and, as a side bonus, better for the environment. (And a little cheaper, too.)
Sure, apparently you get a slight decrease in mileage. So what?
Heck, even if it cost a little more than conventional gas and still provided the slight decrease in mileage, I'd buy it... your sending the money to American farmers, not some guy in Saudi Arabia who doesn't feel your pain. These farmers work for their money, and they do a damn good, often looked-over, job. *And don't use the excuse, "they use illegal immigrants to pick the corn, that money doesn't stay in America" No, they use big, very expensive machines (made by American companies) to pick the corn*
Unfortuantly for me, my truck is only rated for 10% ethanol. But still, 10% is better than 0%.
I believe biodiesel and ethanol is going to be the "wave of the future" long before hydrogen or any of that other garbage: it's made out of soybeans and corn, which are readily available to us (go anywhere in the MidWest and you have mile after mile after mile of it!) and its, for the most part, already compatible with the infrustructure we already have. (A lot more so than switching to hydrogen, which, of course, is readily available in the air, but no filling station is ready for it).

I agree with you. Give the money to the farmers and american processing plants even though E85 does nothing for milage. Apparently the equipment is fairly simple on the E85's too. With the hybrids, the equipment is so complex that fixing it will cost an arm and a leg. We did the math on the hybrids and after you pay the extra couple thousand dollars for the car, figure in costs for repairs to it etc it's just not worth it. Unless you're in it for the environmental reasons, I'd stick with gas for now.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:06 AM
BusyAsHell

ORIGINAL: batman13

better mileage, HA
I am damn proud of my 17-20, leadfoot, 4-cyl dak
i love this truck and When this engine gets ready to get up and go, I'll builds a twin turbo 408 and cut mileage in half.
I got a scooter i use back and forth to work when the weathers nice. it gets 60-70 MPG.
I don't worry about getting better mileage, i just drive less.

mods that would help are: plugs, wires, elec. fan, tonneau cover, underbody panels...
this list goes on and varies
I've already got the tonneau cover. No underbody panels. I will be changing wires and plugs soon.

Quick Reply: 14 miles per gallon -- OUCH