2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:46 PM
rphillips
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas mileage

I'm looking for ideas on getting better gas mileage out of my '03 dakota club cab with a 4.7L engine. I've been told to put dual pipes, intake, and performance chip on it. Has anyone done any of these modifications and if so did they help the mpg? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:08 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: gas mileage

well i have an 05 4.7 and i have the full k/n fipk, along with the jet stage 2 chip, 180 thermostat, and 3 inch single cat back exhaust. i am running 91/93 octane and getting around 19 mpg around town and 23/24 on highway this is with the a/c on. also truck was dynoed at 203 rwhp and 275 ftls of trque.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:56 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: gas mileage

well my trucks a lil bit older than yours its a 98 and its got the old Snortin gas hog 318 magnum in it. and well all i did was buy a piece of flexable hose for like 5 or 6 bucks that was about the size of the air intake hose and where the air box is i took the curved hose off and ran the flex hose from there to in between the passenger headlight and the radiator. i had to cut a small hole in that rubber there then shove the hose through about half an inch and then i stuck a screen over the end of the hose to prevent getting a bunch of bugs and stuff inside the air box. but when i did that it allowed the air from running down the highway to be forced into the air intake like ram air and it gave me 3 mpg better fuel milage but the only thing is if you do this watch it when you wash your truck dont get water in there.

Quick Reply: gas mileage