2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

a/c help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM
rhowe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c help

my a/c basically puts out warm air. i charged it to 45psi a few months ago and it worked fine. as far as i know that is still in the safe psi range . but just recently it hasn't been cold at all. what else would cause the ac not to blow cold? its a 01 3.9 if that makes a diff

Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Default RE: a/c help

make sure the compressor is running. and all proper pumps are pumping
________
KID WELLBUTRIN

Last edited by batman13; 09-03-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 PM
OldDodgeDriver
Professional

Sounds like you may have a slow leak. There are several types of freon recharging units available now that have a built in pressure guage. Most run from $12-$30. That was the problem on my Cherokee. Just add freon until the needle is in the blue range. I picked up the can that had a sealant and oil with the gas charge. Walmart and Target carry them as should most auto parts stores.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:13 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran

i second on the leak and bet its in the pump. my last a/c system that failed leaked out the freon and replaced it with air eventually blowing the pump completely and leaving me on the side of the road in the nevada desert. at the very least i suggest that you carry a belt for a non-a/c truck so you can bypass your a/c on the side of the road. the correct thing to do would be to hook up the system to a vacuum pump and see if it leaks

Old 08-10-2006, 06:52 AM
rhowe
Professional

well i know it doesn't leak because its still at 45psi on the low pressure valve, but why would it have good freon and only blow out hot air? I've done auto work, but never done a/c work excpt for recharging freon, soo..., it's hot as everybody knows, especially here in the midwest(kc, 104+heatindex). and I love havin the windows down, but during rush hour when your moving 0-20 mph on the freeway and sitting like a ***** in church at the lights, what would be my next move? I totally appose paying somebody else huge amounts of $$ to fix something due to my own ignorance. Its hot. who, when, somebody, tell me, give me idea's please! thanx in adv

Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 PM
titan2087
Veteran

A few qeustions.... does it ever cool? like for the first few minutes then get warm or is it a continues warm air blow out?(if it cools in the beginng then gets hot then you could have a clogged up condensor wash it out especily with the high heat). You no for sure you still have a charge that you origonly put in? Did you over charge the system? if you over charged the system it will do the same exact thing it did with littel or no refrigerant in it. whats your low side pressure with the system running? Can you tell me your high side psi? If you listen to your ac pump while its on full blast does it make any grinding noises or other such weird noises? Are you farmiler with the electrical hook up on the pump? If so can you get the amp draw and ohm rating of the pump? It sounds to me like poor old Mr pump went to hevean. You say you recharged the system after it was low. How long was it low before you recharged it and did you let the pump run while it was low? (could have sucked in some non condesiables such as air and moisture....pump killers). The r-134a recharge kit you bought to recharge your system did it have lube in it? if not you probely burnt the pump up the old lube would have migrated to the nearest hole lol. Good luck... Also freon is r-22 and your putting r-134a in your car just a littel note. (or if your still on the old stuff its r-12 liquid gold but i doubt many have it if any these days)

Old 08-10-2006, 09:15 PM
rhowe
Professional

well i checked the psi's about 2 weeks ago and it had 45 on the low. started rechecking the psi's today and had zero psi on the low. i guess when i checked it last the valve didn't fully seal shut and i lost it all. but thats easily fixed. thanks to all

Old 08-10-2006, 11:32 PM
titan2087
Veteran

hmmmmm i thinck you would have noticed if it didnt shut all the way it would have been seeping a whitish mist.