2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Few questions...cooling system...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:23 PM
koda360
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions...cooling system...

I've got a few questions. I have a 2000 Dakota R/T, aprox. 160k miles, runs great. When I first bought the truck, late 2000 with about 2600 miles on it, I never heard the clutch fan run, except maybe a super hot day (90ish) and sitting in traffic. A couple years ago the clutch went out, replaced fan clutch.

Problem, now the fan engages it's self anytime you're sitting still for a few seconds. I know that means it's working ect, ect. I've been around clutch fans along time, but this one seems like it's engaged too often, not that it's a bad thing, it just sounds like a Cesna when you take off....anoying!

My question is, has anyone ever removed the clutch fan totaly, and relied mainly on the electric fan? Is there a way to lower the temp for the sending unit to turn the fan on sooner? I've ran a 180 degree thermostat sence about a week after I bought it. This doesn't seem to effect anything other than the truck runs way cooler, as long as it's moving.

I believe I'm going to buy an aftermarket electric fan, and remove the clutch fan. I was just wondering if you could use the factory elec. fan some how. It seems a little small in diamater to do the job, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanx...
Marcus

Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 AM
OldDodgeDriver
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Few questions...cooling system...

Viscous clutches tend to engage after sitting and may stay engaged up to a minute after starting the engine. Drive along at 40 MPH for about 5 minutes then come to a stop and rev the engine, if the fan REALLY roars your viscous fan clutch is bad. In fact, it sounds like it was bad when you installed it. I don't recommend relying on the puny electric fan as a stand alone fan. You need a lot more CFM to keep that RT cool, so a second electric fan will be necessary if you're dumping the belt driven fan.

Quick Reply: Few questions...cooling system...