2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New to Dakotas but not Dodge.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Thansen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Dakotas but not Dodge.

Hi, Dodge Forum newbie here.

I going to embark on a 2nd gen Dakota as a replacement vehicle and have my basic questions. First off, is it possible to get a 4 cylinder QC or ext. cab? If not stock, can I put a 4 banger in? And second just out of curiosity, how much does it weigh? QC and Ext. Cab. I'm trying to drop in a Turbo 4 cylinder from the first gen truck into the 2nd, but don't know how compatible they are. I know they are both 2.5 liter engines, and that they both sit on a RWD platform, but that's it. Anyway, thanks for the help, and if anyone has questions about Turbo Dodges, I know a little bit so you can PM me. See ya'll around.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:28 AM
Daksport1pa
Banned
Default RE: New to Dakotas but not Dodge.

Welcome to the site. I don't believe Dodge ever offered a 4 cyl in the 2nd gen Dakotas. Only 6s and 8s. As far as transplanting a 4 cyl in I do not know. I"m sure anything can be done. I just don't know if it would really have enough power to move a QC considering some of the guys who have V6s in their QCs complain about them being underpowered. With a turbo though it may be much better. Someone may have a lil more knowledge in this area and be able to help you more.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Thansen

ORIGINAL: Daksport1pa

I don't believe Dodge ever offered a 4 cyl in the 2nd gen Dakotas.
The Dakota 2nd gen had an AMC 4 cylinder in their base models from 1997-02' coupled to a 5 spd manual, but that's all I know. I know they have a 4 cylinder 2nd gen, but I don't know much more. Anyway Dakota buffs, help!!

Old 08-26-2006, 02:06 AM
Daksport1pa
Banned

ORIGINAL: Thansen

ORIGINAL: Daksport1pa

I don't believe Dodge ever offered a 4 cyl in the 2nd gen Dakotas.
The Dakota 2nd gen had an AMC 4 cylinder in their base models from 1997-02' coupled to a 5 spd manual, but that's all I know. I know they have a 4 cylinder 2nd gen, but I don't know much more. Anyway Dakota buffs, help!!
I stand corrected. You are absolutely right. I just checked in my service manual and they did infact have a 2.5l 4cyl. I thought they stopped putting them in after the 1st gen. I also looked for gvw in the manual but couldn't find anything. I'm probably just missing it. I can check my truck tomorrow for the weight on a QC at least. Its storming out or I'd check it for you now.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:53 AM
lil
Captain

I guess you could do a 4 banger but why......with the power weight ratio on these trucks the V6 in fact gets worse gas milage for the most part because to make up for being under powered in most freeway and commute traffic conditions people tend to press the gas peddle down harder and longer so they end up with 2-4 MPG less on adv. with the 3.9L V6 vs. the 4.7L V8 and the 5.2L, 5.9L guys get about the same MPG as the V6 but they have so much more power.....I am assuming you are thinking of a 4 banger for the gas mileage.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:06 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: lil

I guess you could do a 4 banger but why......with the power weight ratio on these trucks the V6 in fact gets worse gas milage for the most part because to make up for being under powered in most freeway and commute traffic conditions people tend to press the gas peddle down harder and longer so they end up with 2-4 MPG less on adv. with the 3.9L V6 vs. the 4.7L V8 and the 5.2L, 5.9L guys get about the same MPG as the V6 but they have so much more power.....I am assuming you are thinking of a 4 banger for the gas mileage.

Ya thats what i was thinking. People think 4cyl are the way to go these days with gas going UP. I use to have a 4cyl ford. It was a peice of _____ 18miles to the gallon with the a/c on i had no power what so ever and had to stomp it to go from a complete stop or turn OD off. I went from a 4cyl to a 8cyl 5.9l and i actually get about the same gas milege i avg about 17 city 22 highway. Pretty sad when a v8 gets better mpgs then a 4cyl. More power if you need it, and you can run the a/c on max without cutting your hp in half.. lol.

If you do get a 4cyl i suggest getting aftermarket pulleys on it, that will give you more power and let you run your a/c without loosing power.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Thansen

Gas milege isn't at all what I'm aiming for. It's for tuning purposes. With the Chrylser 2.5 Turbo engine, I can squeeze out 400 hp and 450 ft/lbs of torque. I know a lot about these engines, but know nothing on the V6's or V8's. Also, I don't like V6's or V8's, (too many parts). So, I just want to put an engine in that I know how to work on. Then I can have my little race truck.

I appreciate the comments and understand why you think I'm aiming for MPG, but that's definitely not the case. I got a 4 banger to save on gas already (36 MPG), so I'm set. Now all I need is POWER!!

Old 08-28-2006, 05:38 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thansen

With the Chrylser 2.5 Turbo engine, I can squeeze out 400 hp and 450 ft/lbs of torque.
I remember a few years ago my grandpa was telling me that them small engines, when given the proper parts, can really put out some power. He had a '86 or so Dodge Shelby Charger, I don't remember what engine it had in it, but it was turbo, and I never got to drive it .

Old 08-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that power at the wheels for a dakota? What do you expect to get at the wheels if not? That's pretty impressive for what it is...

Old 08-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Thansen

That's crank hp, "400", but for the truck I can expect it to feel like 250-300. To build it up though, the internals obviously can't be stock. New pistons, rods, etc. plus MP head gaskets and High strength bolts give this engine enough strength with the common block to withstand 300, 400, even 500 hp with the right tuning.

Quick Reply: New to Dakotas but not Dodge.