2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Which intake is better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which intake is better?

Tsh are you in the northeast? I'm in NY and it was horrible today. I hit a nice big puddle and got a little scared but afterwards when I got home I popped the tube off and all was fine.
Virused I can always pull the tube and pop it into that hole in the fender as well when I wheel. I need to get me a k&n drop in though.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mean Green
I need to get me a k&n drop in though.
that is for sure! i am never let down with k&n, i have owned 5 in total for 5 different vehicles and have never been dissapointed.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Mean Green
Champion

You should yank the k&n and drop a fram paper filter in there for me and tell me what happens as far as horsies, response, and mileage. I would really like to know how dramatic the changes are...

Old 08-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

You should yank the k&n and drop a fram paper filter in there for me and tell me what happens as far as horsies, response, and mileage. I would really like to know how dramatic the changes are...
i only have one question about that. the k&n flows better than a fram paper filter being an oiled cotton as opposed to paper. you have to replace a fram air filter every 10 to 20 thousand miles depending on how you drive, and you never have to replace a k&n. why would you want to buy a fram paper filter?

Old 08-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Mean Green
Champion

So that you can tell me how big the difference is in performance and fuel consumption.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:54 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have ram air on my truck, here is some pics of the unit.

http://www.gal-xz-visuals.com//gfx/rt5.jpg
http://www.gal-xz-visuals.com//gfx/rt4.jpg

i have a tube coming from the hood to the intake with a K&N Filter, i had a fram and i changed it out like 2 weeks ago. I noticed a performance change and better mpg.

The only thing is that in the rain my truck useally dies. It intakes so much water it floods the engine. I had to pullover and disconnect the ram air tube and dry out all the water laying in it.

Cold air intake, if you did that i would get a custom extension made and have it closer to your front foglight hole if you have one. That way it is REALLY far from the engine bay and gets direct air from down low. This also takes in alot of water so you might want to check on water blockers or w/e the hell you call them. Shields.. w/e.

Intake is like one of the most common mods i see in cars today, there cheap and give you a great performance boost and better mpg.

I like how the chevy SS's have a cutout on the front bumber area to intake coldair, i was thinking about getting a custom bumber made like that so i can run a cold air intake, or even have a cold air and a ram air running at once, or just leave my hood for looks. Meh

Thanks,
Chris.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Mean Green
Champion

User who makes that hood? I have looked at some similar to it and the airbox is right on top of the engine, also they claim that their hood channels water away from the intake. Did that one advertise that as well???

Old 08-26-2006, 02:26 AM
ckm110789

Wow yall have some really nice setups for yalls intake...and i see some of yall have kept the stock intake box and built off of it...i wish i would have thought of that....ill keep yall updated on what i do...but as of right now im going to run some heatwrape around my intake piping b/c it gets really hott and thats going to heat my air up..so imma wrape that up and take the plastic piece off and run it like that...i need to get a new K&n filter b/c the filter i have is when their filters where black and that is mid 90's...so a new filter would do me good

Old 08-26-2006, 03:04 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Million mile warranty man It doesn't really matter unless the thing is falling apart. I definitely think that the CAI is not as good as my setup because this is as cold as it's getting without ice.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:08 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

User who makes that hood? I have looked at some similar to it and the airbox is right on top of the engine, also they claim that their hood channels water away from the intake. Did that one advertise that as well???
The hood was on this truck when i bought it. So im not sure who does. But this site ---> http://www.suncoastcreations.com/Pro...tail.cfm?id=11 has one just like mine. It coudn't have been this site cuz it comes with a K&N filter. Mine had a fram in it when i got it, unless the old owner took it out.

But mine does have the grill inserts and stuff, and if you feel up into the ram air ways in the hood, you can feel sponges inside around where the air comes, so i GUESS thats whats suppost to stop water from getting in it, and both scoops work on the hood not just the left one, and when your doing donuts in the rain in an open parking lot with rpms in the 5k your intake is going to suck in ALOT of water so i suggest not doing that. lol. Otherwise this hood blows my mind. I love it, it makes the truck look alot more aggresive and gives ya about 10-15 more hp "they say". One of the reasons i bought this truck was becuase of the hood, i HATE the stock hoods.. flat and not that good looking, and when you got a 360 under the hood you got heat to, and a stock intake is just going to suck hot air... so whats the point. They need to do what the SS did and have a cutout by the foglight to get cold air. I like that idea alot.

If there is any spelling mistakes in that my bad, its like 2am here and im tired and kinda pissed, my underglow cut out and im trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with it. Im re-doing the wires right now.... somthing ALWAYS has to go wrong. It can never work perfect, and i think all of us can agree on that.

Quick Reply: Which intake is better?