2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

How to get more Bang.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:36 PM
pablov
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get more Bang.

Hello fellow dodge lovers,
I have been working on my dodge dakota recently. It is a v8 Magnum 5.2L 1997 automatic dakota. I've put in an air raid air intake, repainted the whole truck yellow with black strips, painted interior, put a 3 inch body lift, and working on a soundsystem.(I'll get picture as soon as I get my camera to work) So now I would like to work on the engine. I just would like to know how to increase the power I get. I know the next step is to put on headers and exhaust any suggestions on what to put on a 5.2l. I've looked around on the others forums and i cant seem to find anything on them for a 5.2. Any ideas are helpfull. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:04 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How to get more Bang.

headers well help, as will items like high flow cats (or no cats, but that depends on where you live and youd have to get an o2 cheater). you can also look into items like a superchips hand tuner (which i believe that they make) and a throttle body, such as the FastMan TB. some other items which will help are underdrive pulleys, electric fans (if you dont have them already..im not sure if you do or not). We have a 5.9 ram, but the edelbrock headers and gutted cat adds some power...We are running a CAI, fastman TB, electric fans, MSD 6AL and coil, march underdrive pulleys.

also, what gears do you have? if you have a body lift, im guessing that it is a 4wd?

depending on how much money you want to spend, you could also get into items like a better built trans.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:40 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts
Default RE: How to get more Bang.

dont forget the heads... the heavy duty heads from hugh's engines or the r/t's are a good choice. stock heads suck.

Roller rockers are also great to have... I had the crower 1.7's and loved them, nice boost across the whole rpm range.

a good setup might be...
50mm TB (for a 5.2)/ 52mm TB (for a 5.9)
Crower 1.7 Roller Rockers (or equiv)
gibson headers
dual out flowmaster kit with out's set at 2.25"
K&N intake kit

... and custom tuning or programmer.

Quick Reply: How to get more Bang.