2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

helllllp!! can anyone help me with this????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:46 PM
DakotaSport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: helllllp!! can anyone help me with this????

hmm, I didn't know/think about Rotors and cap, see why I come here.

whats a typhoon??? (ill look it up), i think ive heard of it? isnt it just an air intake in the 300-500 dolla range?

Oh, I see what your saying about the RPM thing, ok thanks..... ya i'd tell ya'll if I was with a contract... that'd be sweet!! I dont think i'd get a contract with this though.. u never know...

trying to understand the rev limiter thing.. I understand the soft rev limiter meaning though...

but, after I get the best gas mileage I can get, would an oversize TB still be good to get???

Old 08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

for power, yes the TB is a great upgrade and especially swapping to the 5.9 TB, it is a cheap pwer gainer; any scrap yard will have them. the typhoon is one of many terrible gimiks that are out there. (i think there is an intake systems produced by k&n called the typhoon as well but that is not what i am speaking of) i am talking about the electric fan system you put inside your intake tubing. it does nothing and cost upwards of $70. the rev limiter is what stops yo from blowing a motor due to high rpms. have you ever had your car/truck in nuetral and stomped on the gas? it won't let it kill itself because the computer has what is called a "hard rev limiter" and what this does is interrupt the ignition to your motor which wont allow it to go above a certain rpm. a "soft rev limiter" limits the amount of fuel (typically right before redline) the motor recieves so momentum within the motor is slown down. the soft rev limiter is something that can be adjusted in your wiring harness (although i dont recommend it unless you are very knowledgeable with wiring) with wiring in a split between two sources. let me know if you have any other questions!

chris

Old 08-31-2006, 07:32 PM
DakotaSport
Professional

Ok, im going to a junk yard this weekend to look for one, hope they wont be too expensive, and It dousn't hafta be off the dakota dous it? It can be off the Ram,Ram Van and durango as long as they have the 360?? cant wait to do that upgrade, is it a bolt on and off? cause I know what they are, just never taken one apart

lol ya I seen the K&N typhoon ones, there expensive and just another air intake system.. BUT WAIT! it goes in as a typhoon sucking power!lol

ohhh, ya I know what your talking about now.. i know exactly what you mean. (about the soft and hard limiter)

what would it do if I had someone mess with the harness for the soft rev limiter, any mods on your 3.9l besides Air and exhaust?

Old 08-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

get the TB off of another dakota or durango. it is a diret fit, i believe you need to move the throttle cable, im not sure. i know for a fact though that you need to move your existing throttle position sensor (tps) to the new TB. as far as the ram, i dont know if it will fit, my guess would be no.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:19 PM
rhowe
Professional

that sounds like your cat is starting to clog.
ORIGINAL: DakotaSport

Ok, I think its the trans, whenever I floor it, i think in 2 or 3rd(or both) gears when I get into 4000-5000RPM(The rev limit is like 4800-5600), it starts to bog in a weird way, like the gears are slipping, sounds kinda like the engine is about to give up on me or somthing...
so whenever I gas it im scared to go to those RPMs(I have 5 Speed by the way...) so I just stay below 4K RPMs...

anyone heard of this??

hey anyone know averige MPG on these 4x2 5speed club cab V6 dakotas? mine dousn't even last me a week.. even with high flow exhaust and cold air.. cause I think im getting around 9-12city...

Old 09-01-2006, 03:58 AM
DakotaSport
Professional

Hey Rhowe, ya I was thinking maybe my cat too...... but I dont know.. im having everything checked tommorow

really? is there a big difforence in the Dakotas 360 Vs the Rams 360? oh dous the Ram use that old school style air breather? cause my Moms Ram Van uses that and its a 318.

Quick Reply: helllllp!! can anyone help me with this????