2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Another question about difforent Air intake systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:28 PM
DakotaSport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another question about difforent Air intake systems

Ok

Lets say you have A 300-400 dollar(w/e brand) air intake system, soposed to be all that

and then you have like the auto zone/Ebay or w/e 50-70$ one, both intakes sitting in the exact spot, pluss since the autozone one ive herd that u can extend it further with ad-on piping...

are the more expensive have better piping? that keeps heat out? but if u have the expensive air intake in the exact same spot as the cheaper one, dousn't hot air still get in thrue the cone?

but lets say there both cold air, both away from the engine as far as possible, is it just the tubing for the more expensive?

Do the top expensive brands REALLY give you TONS of more HP and TQ??

IDK, i've been just looking around at difforent AIR intake systems and want to see if anyone could help me with this. I'm only 16 so I don't rlly know[:@]

Old 08-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Another question about difforent Air intake systems

the only thing about "all that" intakes is the price. the only major difference between intakes are the filter material, piping size, and filter location within the engine compartment. some of the higher priced intakes have additional engine compartment block off "walls" to seperate the air from the intake and the engine compartment. i think we have been over this many times. in the future, please do a search of this forum and see what answers you can come up with first.

chris

Old 08-30-2006, 07:38 PM
DakotaSport
Professional

well ya, I know, ok i'll do searchs n stuff.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting true cold air out of my intake and it only cost me 40 bucks and mine was more expensive than others that did something similar because I bought tubing from Auto Zone and had no patience to look around all day. I got a good boost out of it too. Check this out it may help you make up your mind

Old 08-30-2006, 08:00 PM
DakotaSport
Professional

mannnnnnn.......... I wish I woulda found that out before.. cause I was impatient and went and bought the autozone intake system for 75 bucks...

LOL but mine LOOKs alot better...lol...

NICE job though! But since I can buy add-on parts, later i'll add more piping and have the cone site at the front, like where yours is. pluss mine will look better and get more are, cause it'll go thrue a tube, not a box

Old 08-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Well the thing is is that your cone won't fit in there [8D] it's just too tight you see how I had to crush the tube a little bit. A cone does look a lot better though I would say just get some tubing like I did and out it where mine is and let it blow the air on your filter that'll keep the heat off of it and just move the hose off of the cone when it's raining and you have to drive at high speeds because of the mist that other people throw up will get all over your filter. I am going to get an air funnel to put more air down that tube also so after I get it going I would say mine is better because even with all the bends it has air being force fed unlike the cone you have which leaves the engine pulling...

Old 08-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

i think this weekend i am going to make a CAI kit using block off walls and do it all from scratch and post the results. i will see how little i can spend to make it happen.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Particle board man! LOL That would be really cheap!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:25 PM
DakotaSport
Professional

Mine dousn't have that plastic there [8D] i'll take a pic, its like a open gap where u fit ur plastic tube...

this weekend I want to do some stuff to my truck too.. hey u guys all have the same headlights.. ever heard of taking the yellow out of the headlight???

Old 08-30-2006, 08:34 PM
lil
Captain

That looks like a wet r dry vac set up for a gocart hehe

Quick Reply: Another question about difforent Air intake systems