2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Twiztid
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shocks

I just went with a set of Rancho RS5000 for 46.99 a shock from Kragen. I wanted something better then stock and figured I would give rancho a try since I will be going with thier lift kit in 6 months or so. I just put the fronts on and can already see a huge difference. I can't really say how much better over stock, as the stock ones were the OEM ones and were shot to ****e.

I have a 99' 4x4 and so far the fronts were easy to put on, I did it in 10-15 minutes each wheel.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:52 PM
dolbnyc

I just put in some monroe sensa tracs, the stock ride is too musy in the front, the monroes are like stock
the rears are ok, but the fronts are still just ok, for regular driving it's fine
but when you hit uneven pavement with whoopt ti doos its bouncy
also when you go slow aver a speed bump, the fronts compress really far, and then there is like 2 bounce after
they were easy to install, but on the fronts I would imagine on high pressure shocks, it would be harder to get the shock to compress

I would say

Bilsteins, Kyb's or the Edelbrocks, or the Ranchos

I got mine from http://www.shockwarehouse.com/

Old 09-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lil I got my fronts for $55 each I imagine the rears are around the same price but I didn't check on those since mine are still ok in the back, but yeah I had a hell of a time getting mine on I had to bolt up the top and jack it up from the bottom and hope it stayed on track.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Dick Manley
Rookie

has any one actually used the pro comp shocks if so let me knwo whow they worked out for you

Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Twiztid
I wanted something better then stock and figured I would give rancho a try since I will be going with thier lift kit in 6 months or so.
what kind of lift are you putting on your dak? if it a suspension lift, i hope it comes with new shocks because you will need them because the stroke will need to be longer to be compatible with your lift. do some research to make sure you didnt just throw that money away.

chris

Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

So far I have seen 2 different choices for my year/model DAK. 3" from Rancho and a 5'5" Tuff Country. As for the shocks I just got, yeah I figured they would be useless when I get the lift. I just didn't mind spending the little extra for the next 6 months or so. I am looking for a 3" suspension lift and will prob end up with the rancho, but if you know others.....

It seems there are more options for the 2WDs then the 4WDs

Old 09-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah because that makes a lot of sense...

Old 09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

I am looking for a 3" suspension lift and will prob end up with the rancho, but if you know others.....

wow, i have found the exact opposite of you. however, you did not mention above that you have found the 3" suspension lift the www.fabtechmotorsports.com provides. i installed in on my 4x2 (minus the rear add-a-leaf) and have had nothing but success. as a matter of fact, last weekend i scaled saddleback mountain (elevation around 6,000 ft above surrounding area) and had no troubles. in fact, i proved some of my friends wrong when it came to the abilities of a 2wd truck. unfortunately the above named lift will not work with stock wheels. (i hope a wheel upgrade was in your future anyway though) let us know what you decide!

chris

Old 09-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

Where are you seeing a 4WD lift from them? I just looked through thier PDF catalog and only see a 3" lift for 2WD dakotas. My 2 top choices would be FabTech or Skyjacker, but niether seem to have a 4WD kit.

As for wheels, what part doesn't work, like bolt pattern? I currently have the stock wheels (15x7 I think) with 32x11.5 tires. They rub a bit in tight corners, but they were brand new and already on when I bought the truck. Plus they look a little pinch like there is too wide a tires on too narrow a wheel.

Nice bike by the way. I ride a Suzuki SV650s (only way i could afford a gas guzzler like the dak). Check it out.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

sorry twiztid for the confusion, my dislexia kicked in when reading your earlier post and thought you had a 2wd.

Quick Reply: Shocks