2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front brake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 02:37 PM
OldDodgeDriver
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake question

While towing my motorcycle trailer this morning when a soccer mom pulled out in front of me and my Dak initially pulled to the right when I slammed on brakes. When I pulled over I noticed that the front right brake was very hot compared to the left front/rears. I had no been doing any hard braking other than the soccer mom, so my guess is the pads on the right front are dragging. There was a lot more brake dust on the right wheel too. I put new rotors and ceramic pads on about 1,000 miles ago but this is the first time I noticed just one side heating up. Think the piston needs rebuilding? Anyone else have this problem?[sm=vader.gif]

Old 09-24-2006, 06:53 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front brake question

I replaced both rotors and pads up front on mine and a short while later I replaced both calipers as well. I don't know why, but both of mine did that at different times, driver's side to the point that a fire truck followed me as I was getting off the freeway to check it out. Lots of smoke/fire. Oops.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:09 AM
OldDodgeDriver
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front brake pads

I pulled the pads on the right side. The inboard pad looked fine but the outside pad had about a 1/4" ridge running along the top! When it is installed it sits higher than the rotor so as the pad wears it has this unworn ridge that rides on top of the rotor. No wonder the dang thing got hot. Wierd, I've never had anything like that before. Driver's side pads look ok. Guess there was a manufacturing boo-boo on this one pad. The tabs on this one pad won't let it seat flush with the rotor. Guess I will have to re-pad AGAIN. Hope I can find the receipt![sm=headbang.gif]

Quick Reply: Front brake question