2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Automatic won't shift into 1st

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
red9535
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic won't shift into 1st

I've got a 2002 dakota sxt, automatic transmission. Everythings fine when i put it into drive, and when i put it into 2nd. 1st gear is the selection all the way to the right. The lever stops halfway between 2nd and 1st, and I can't select 1st gear. I havn't been in the position where i needed to use it yet, but I was just curious if its supposed to be this way? I haven't tried to drive that way yet, so i'm not sure if its just not showing its selected but it really is, or if it actualy won't go all the way

Old 09-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Automatic won't shift into 1st

ORIGINAL: red9535

so i'm not sure if its just not showing its selected but it really is, or if it actualy won't go all the way
have you tried driving the truck when the gear selection is all the way to the right (in 1st gear)? try putting it in first then driving. if it shifts into second then you have an issue. if it stays in first gear and doesnt shift into second, it is fine and the only thing wrong is your gear display window might be misalligned.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:48 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran
Default RE: Automatic won't shift into 1st

most likley your shifter is out of alignement, its easy to fix. my truck is the same way only it isnt far enough off to not get into first gear. grab your repair manual or the PDF one thats floating around the forum and go adjust your shifter

Quick Reply: Automatic won't shift into 1st