2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A squeaking noise!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:09 AM
gutted
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A squeaking noise!

Today I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the back of my truck somewhere. It is not variable with the speed, and I don't think it's the leaf springs or suspension stuff because it didn't seem to vary at all with hitting bumps.

I haven't poked around at all, because other than suspension stuff I don't really know what to look at or for. I'm not too concerned, but to be honest it's just really annoying with the windows open! Any suggestions?

Old 10-03-2006, 02:24 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Default RE: A squeaking noise!

either the axle bearings or the U-joints between the driveshaft and the differential. Have you been flooring it lately? cuz that wears out the U-joints. Either that, or time wore it out.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:01 AM
gutted
Veteran

I haven't floored it lately. The only time I ever get into it at all is merging onto the highway. The truck has 53000ish miles on it, is it normal for the mileage? Is there a way I can visually tell? This is my first RWD vehicle, so I'm not too too familiar with all the components back there.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:19 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

well im not sure if it's physically visable. I had worn U-joints, but i didnt know that was the problem til i needed my rear brakes refinished. I asked for an axle inspection as well. Can yoiu give a little more detail on how and when it squeeks? I remember wen mine squeeked...it wld only squeek at a certain point of rotation, and I also noticed wen i shift from reverse to drive, sometime my axle would jolt into place. I would be like wtf cuz it made a snapping sound.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:31 PM
gutted
Veteran

No snapping for me. It was pretty constant while driving. No special event made it appear other than being in motion. It did not vary with bumps in the road or speed. I'll see if I can notice when it happens today.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:00 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get a squeaking nosie from the rear too time to time.... my problem is on my left rear leaf spring... around the clamp on the leafs... the rubber isolator bushing is comming out... all thats used for is to prevent squeaks.. check it out... i got around 52000 on mine,... maybe a similar problem

Old 10-27-2006, 05:11 AM
gutted
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Rakaric

well im not sure if it's physically visable. I had worn U-joints, but i didnt know that was the problem til i needed my rear brakes refinished. I asked for an axle inspection as well. Can yoiu give a little more detail on how and when it squeeks? I remember wen mine squeeked...it wld only squeek at a certain point of rotation, and I also noticed wen i shift from reverse to drive, sometime my axle would jolt into place. I would be like wtf cuz it made a snapping sound.
The squeeking went away I think. It's hard to tell though because it's getting chilly out so the windows have been closed.

Anyway, I *have* noticed that I can feel the axle jolt into place when I shift into D or R. Does that mean it's the U joint? Also, I did some searching and u joints seem to be around $12 at AutoZone, is that the right part? I need to buy a shop manual for this truck...

Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Erich_121
Veteran

my tail pipe sometimes rubs against the body of the truck making a squeeking noise

Old 10-27-2006, 01:34 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

well without a part # kinda hard to say, but yes that is what you need to ask for at the counter, did you change them?

Old 10-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

Climb under your truck and start yanking on parts. I had a squeek and it ended up being a slightly loose shock.

Quick Reply: A squeaking noise!