2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission not shifting out of 1st...help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:02 PM
quadrozep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission not shifting out of 1st...help!

99 5.2L Dak (58K Miles). About a month ago I was geting the ABS and Brake lights on, only after driving for a while. Took it to Bettehnhausen Dodge in Tinley IL and they told me they couldn't find the problem (said it could have been dirty connections???) The lights have been coming on again the past month and I also noticed a couple days ago that my Dak isn't shifting properly out of 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd when it's warm. The engine revs and I have to let off the gas to get into the next gear...however no check engine light and the ABS/Brake light is not on at the time. Could this be just a sensor or am I looking at something more serious?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Old 11-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Transmission not shifting out of 1st...help!

first thing first. check your tranny fluid level. many major transmission problems are caused solely from a too high/low trans fluid level going unchecked for a long time.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
quadrozep

Thanks Virused for the reply. That was the first thing I checked. Unfortunately things went from bad to worse this morning when I was backing out of my driveway. As I put it in reverse there was some clunky sounds coming from the front end. Not sure what's going on. I had to let off the gas to get the truck into the next gear constantly. Hardly made it to the dealership. I'm hoping it's not a tranny rebuild...hardly have any miles on the thing.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

they are called stealerships for a reason. [:@]

Quick Reply: Transmission not shifting out of 1st...help!