2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need some help dropping the truck...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 06:00 PM
BKates
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help dropping the truck...

I have a 04 Dakota 2wd 4.7l. I am wanting to put a decent drop on the truck. Whats the way to go on dropping these trucks. I am use to dropping cars, and have never dropped a truck. Whats the best way to lower our trucks? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Minion
Professional
Default RE: Need some help dropping the truck...

blocks and drop spindals is the only way in know of

Old 11-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

i am not a big fan of lowering trucks, especially the dakota with the front suspension setup it has (2wd), but if that is the route you want to go, do it right and use an airbag setup. you will thank yourself for it in the long run.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:14 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what about a hotchiks drop? Woudn't that help also? Thats what im doing with mine, 3/2 drop for normal daks, 2/1 for R/Ts... just found that out. I was told its also a suspension upgrade better for performance, i was told airbags are not that great for daily driving but good for car shows and things... correct me if im wrong.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

airbags can be just as nice for a daily driver as a coil/leaf drop. just make sure you get an airbag system with a dual way compression system. what i mean by that is the bag is getting pressure from both sides of the valves. what happens with most airbags is that you have a one-way valve to let air in/out but when you hit a bump, the bag is allowed to over expand, giving you a poor ride. when you have dual line, both pressurized, it doesn't allow the bag to over expand over bumps. it is very similar to the setup you will find in a two-way air rod suspension. but yes, user2006, a lot of airbag systems do have a poor ride because of this fact. just choose the right one and you will be looking at total adjustability, quality ride and show-stopping looks.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:31 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Minion

blocks and drop spindals is the only way in know of

Theres also a-arm replacements (some trucks), coil spring drops, rear shackle kits, axle flip kits and de-arched springs.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Aquaman

Virused, So you are saying if I get airbags with a dual way compression system it will be a good ride. Because i got a good deal for bags and install and i love how i can lift and lower my dakota with a flip of a switch and to show off to other people. When you say the ride is bad do u mean rough or just like when u hit a bump it floats too much. like u are on a wave? bouncin up and down
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-12-2007, 09:12 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

airbags are great for daily drivers, except the expense
the first 100 miles or so is usually rough because you're breaking the bags in
If you want a static drop, go with control arms and leaf spring shackles (not blocks if you're going more than an inch)
Stylin concepts has many drop options, I personally am going for the 3/5 Pro kit from DJM

Aquaman, How low can you go?[sm=smiley32.gif] and what did you spend? I want to run 'bags On my dak.
PM me if you can

Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 AM
CowboyUPDJC

I put in 4 inch blocks on the back then a set of 3 inch springs on the front.
Low and nice looking! Only problem is a serious lack of suspension travel!
I get about 2-3 inches of travel and major bottom out!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:26 AM
Aquaman

Batman, I am getting a hook up for the whole air bag and 4 link setup. My friends knows a guy who is just opening a shop and that guy is going to do all the custom work for me. I am trying to stay away from cutting into my bed so i won't have it go as low as i wanted originally. I am suppose to go see the guy who is installing them this week so he can ask me what exactly i want and will give me a price. I will let you know as soon as possible how much it is and everything.

[IMG]local://upfiles/57001/7AE124CD7C30481089D8E90C90CBBED5.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Need some help dropping the truck...