2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I Need a Transmission rebuild...read!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:56 AM
ColoradoMoparMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I Need a Transmission rebuild...read!!!

Yeah I agree with everyone as much as I love Dodge they can not build a decent Automatic transmission. I have had three different Dodges and they all had transmission issues. I just had my trans rebuilt two years ago and it just failed again with the same F*!#ing problem. By the way does anyone have a transmission for a 2001 Dodge Dakota R/T lol.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:06 AM
geoffb123
Veteran

Just be happy its not a ford

Old 01-06-2008, 04:59 AM
sgratto96
Rookie

yes be happy its not a ford. Any dakota or ram with the 5.2 or 5.9 engine have crappy automatic transmissions that are known to go bad. the 4.7 dakota's however have a different automatic with the 5th "overdrive" gear and its the 45rfe and they havent had problems like the others(also used on the new hemi's) but i know this is a dakota section just thought i would put a heads up on the deal with dodge auto's.......see if you can get a rebuilt tranny with a warranty and accelerate easy. every hard acceleration puts wear on the tranny especially since were talking about an automatic

Old 01-06-2008, 05:12 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Well, I am one here with tranny problems all good now, but when you get it rebuilt if you have to pay 2,000, pay it. 1,500 is a bit on the cheaper side, also, anyone looking to convert a tranny to manual, try an manual Valve Body. They shift faster than a stick, and still work as good. But if you get it rebuilt, get a shop to replace all the parts, with heavy duty ones and get a good job done. for 200-300 bucks more you can get the upgrade to all new parts and heavy duty. So why not, remember R & R, because thats what usually costs you the most in the long run if it isn't done right.

I have learned don't go cheap, got somewhere trusted ask someone you know how got theirs rebuilt there, lots of places do this:
get several trannies in swap the parts from broken ones (just whatever is good nothing new all used) Also get a high Stall converter, and bypass cooler, most places that know what they are talking about will tell you to buy a LPD bypass cooler, they cost about 100 bucks, and 1 hour labour by a mechanic and are well worth it.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:53 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I JUST went to Bettenhausen Dodge LAST-NIGHT!
I was looking at a Power-Wagon 3500 Ram (Used).
It has a plow-set-up. Great looking truck for,................. 35,000!!!
No-warrenty!!!! Shoot me the dick if I was gonna buy that!!
By the way,.. Just because the family name had a one time Indy-car owner-driver,
Doesn't mean they know how to take care of their customers.
Go to DART Transmissions in Mokena. (191st. west of Harlem av).
The owner is a Mopar-fanatic, and LOVES and races the things.
He'll give you a good fair price.

Oh, something else;.. He's ALSO got the coolest Slot-Car drag-strip
up-stairs in his shop. It runs the length of his entire shop. Ask him, he will let you check it out.
Those thinks are wicked fast.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:50 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

Moe in Wichita Kansas
Chrysler used to know how to build autos. In 62, 63,64, i watched maxiwadge automatic cars go faster than sticks.just look up the records. one thing i heard wasthat the new mopars have a check valve in the coolent line at the rad. if the trany goes south the trash trash clooges the coolent line. the coolent line is also the lube for the trany bearings. i have had good luck puting 2 qts of rearend grease in the trany for better life. the best place to get trans parts is A & Reds transmission in Wichita Kansas. they have forget more about transmissions than most know.90% of all trans shops get there parts from A& Reds. i have known these people from the late 60s. they are honest!

Quick Reply: I Need a Transmission rebuild...read!!!