2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Nitrous Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 03:52 AM
WhiteR/T5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous Setup

I have an 03 5.9 Dakota and am looking to do a nitrous set up. I have run a wet nitrous setup on a dsm before but needed EM to control timing. I talked to someone at the drag strip who was running a 100 shot wet kit on his dakota without any EM. Is this safe? What kit would be best to run and with what EM if any needed? Thanks.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:22 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran
Default RE: Nitrous Setup

i have seen kits designed for stock motors with no modifications, usually they are 75-100 shot systems. the manufacturers claim they are safe and for the most part im sure they are. i think you would start burning out other parts besides the motor because of the sheer stress of that extra 100 ponies, specifically the transmission. personally im completely against making a truck like this go fast, it weighs almost 3 tons and it isnt very practicle. dont get me wrong, im all for getting some extra power but its just not a race truck.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:35 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive seen a 2nd gen dakota running a (IIRC) 100 shot with no other real mods, other than better plugs.

why does the DSM need the EM system? i dont understand why the timing would be altered to run the bottle...

Old 11-26-2006, 03:40 PM
lil
Captain

kurby I think you need to recheck your math, my quad cab's "Curb weight" (vehicle including standard equipment and all fluids. It does not include passengers, cargo or optional equipment.) it is just over 2 tons (4,208 lbs.), "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating" is just over 3 tons (6,010 lbs.).....that is maximum a vehicle can safely weigh when loaded, including the vehicle itself, occupants, cargo and optional equipment.....but I do agree it is a truck not a sports or muscle car.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:58 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain

You dont got to have a car to go fast heck i know a guy that has a 74 Ford F250 that will smoke anything around. that truck will smoke all 4 38 inch super swampers on the highway and will pop the front tires off the ground. Beef up anything you want its just a matter of personal preference

Old 11-26-2006, 05:31 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran

i didn't say it couldn't be done, I'm just against it. speed is all about power to weight ratio, more power and less weight makes you go faster. case in point is hte lotus elise, one of the best sports cars ever and it doesnt even make 200HPrunning a mostly stock toyota 4 banger. yet it will compete just fine with cars making 4-500 horsepower. it just doesn't make sense to me to have to overcome the major weight disadvantage that comes along with a truck. and even if you did make enough power its a whole nother miracle to make the thing handle and theres almost nothing you can do to make it aerodynamic. its my opinion that trucks are for hauling **** and off roading. Lil, i dont doubt your math, i was exaggerating

Old 11-26-2006, 05:32 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

amandas ram ran high 14s with just very simple bolt ons, with a track weight of 4351...

Old 11-26-2006, 10:34 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain

i just love the look on smart *** kids faces with sports cars when you outrun them in a big truck lol i just like to be different

*this is really off topic but* KurbyCar i see that you have an underdrive pully on your truck and you have a big amp and subs i'm running a 760 watt pioneer amp with 2 10 inch subs and my headlights dim every time the bass hits. Do you have that problem? and does that underdrive pulley make it worse?

Old 11-26-2006, 11:04 PM
WhiteR/T5.9

Timing has to be taken out on a DSM to prevent knock. With boost and N2O it makes things alot more complicated and was getting tons of knock so timing had to be taken out to run safely. Even with a 35 shot it was seeing tons of knock where there wasn't any before. When I bought the truck I took it out to the track and ran 15.2 on "mopar stage 1" and stock tires. I don't know if that's good but I've done intake, headers, and exhaust since and want more power, so nitrous is the easiest and cheapest way to improve by that much HP, as long as it's relatively safe. Theres a guy named Vinny who ownes a body shop named Sunrise Auto here in FL who has an 8 sec. Dakota with a 200 shot of NOS. He runs in a few events here. it's a fully built race car and im not sure what he's done to it. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:27 AM
DEMONDAKOTA02

hey man go to www.krcperformance.com i bought most of my parts from them and they have great technical support. They can answer all your questions. Just my i would not run a wet shot with the stock intack manifold it is just to restritive.

Quick Reply: Nitrous Setup