2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:40 PM
DakotaMan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims

will 33x12.5 in tire fit on a 15x8 in width rim. Or will i need to go with wider rims

Old 12-03-2006, 11:42 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker
Default RE: Rims

Should. If you really are concerned, look for 33X10.5

Old 12-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

It will fit, that is what I am currently running.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:10 PM
jordanu23
Professional

virused did u have to do alot of triming since ur only a 2wd? i have 2wd and wanna see how big i can go. didnt know if i was gonna be able to get 33's

Old 12-20-2006, 01:19 AM
villager

Hi, i'm planning to get a '04 dak.4x4 , 4.7 ,QC. since i don't think there are many differences from the '05.
Or are there?
So, if i understand correctly..... is the largest tire i can put on it a 33x10.5 or 33x12.5 ? .....without any cutting, or lift or turning disadvantages? Is a 20" rim also possible without a lot of alterations?
I'm mainly wanting the diffs to be off the ground more than stock.....about 1.5 "-2".
Do such changes affect the warranty?
Is it true that the computer just has to be reset with a change like that ?
Is it best to find a 3:92 rear to go with this ?...or does the 5speed auto transmission adapt enough for maximum towing, etc.?
Should i avoid the AWD option in favour of the RWD with 4hi-4lo ? Is there also a part-time 4wd option ?
What is under the big floor hump under the rear seat? Is this an empty space which can be used somehow?
Where is the best place to find all the best additions for this truck? ....hi-rise unibody cap, etc.?
Thanks for any help, info.............villager

Old 12-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Daksport1pa
Banned

ORIGINAL: villager

Hi, i'm planning to get a '04 dak.4x4 , 4.7 ,QC. since i don't think there are many differences from the '05.
Or are there?
So, if i understand correctly..... is the largest tire i can put on it a 33x10.5 or 33x12.5 ? .....without any cutting, or lift or turning disadvantages? Is a 20" rim also possible without a lot of alterations?
I'm mainly wanting the diffs to be off the ground more than stock.....about 1.5 "-2".
Do such changes affect the warranty?
Is it true that the computer just has to be reset with a change like that ?
Is it best to find a 3:92 rear to go with this ?...or does the 5speed auto transmission adapt enough for maximum towing, etc.?
Should i avoid the AWD option in favour of the RWD with 4hi-4lo ? Is there also a part-time 4wd option ?
What is under the big floor hump under the rear seat? Is this an empty space which can be used somehow?
Where is the best place to find all the best additions for this truck? ....hi-rise unibody cap, etc.?
Thanks for any help, info.............villager
The 04 and 05 are completely different trucks. The 04s are Gen II and the 05s are the new body style Gen III. On an 04 you will definately need a lift to fit 33s. At least a 3 in lift. I have 32s and I needed a lift and had to trim. Part of that has to do with the backspacing I have on these wheels but 33s will not fit with out a lift.

A 20 in rim is no problem at all.

No changes you make to your vehicle will void your warranty unlessthey can prove what broke or failed was directly caused by the part you put on your vehicle.

You would have to have your speedometer recalibrated for the larger tires.

3.92 would be fine with those tires. A 5 spd manual is available but finding one is few and far between.

If AWD is something you would like and you can find one go for it. If you would rather just have 2wd with 4hi and 4lo go that way. I think its really justa preference thing. I also don't believe there is a part time on them. You're either in or out.

The big hump is the floor. There isn't anything you can do about it. You could probably cut it and redo the floor but I don't know how much room you would gain if any. I'm not sure what is under the chassis there.

There are lots of vendors on the site that have parts. You can also googleand find lots of places that offer parts.

Oh yeah. Welcome to the site.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:18 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

my brother had a '97 V6..i dont know how big the engine was..but he had 33 inch tires and a few years ago...his engine stalled on the highway so he pulled to the side. Tried starting it up again and the block blew up. They denied the warranty because of oversize tires...

Old 12-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: jordanu23

virused did u have to do alot of triming since ur only a 2wd? i have 2wd and wanna see how big i can go. didnt know if i was gonna be able to get 33's
You won't be able to run them if you are at stock height. You will needa 3" lift, and you will have to do some trimming. And when I say some, I mean a lot. [:@]

Quick Reply: Rims