2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Another Audio Question!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:06 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Audio Question!

I have a 2000 Ex Cab with the Infinity sound system. Overall I'm very pleased with performance for a factory fitted system. However, one problem I have with it is whilst the FM range is the same as over here, it only picks up stations which have a frequency that ends in an odd number (ie, .1 .3 .5 etc). Over here, quite a few stations use the even numbers. I guess it can't be changed so I'm using it as an excuse for an upgrade! I also want MP3 on the CD so I think its time to change.
My question is, can the new unit use the seperate amps and speakers of the Infinity system or do I have to replace everything? Also can anyone confirm that its a 1.5 DIN sized unit?

Thanks,

Paul.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:41 PM
02dakotakid
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another Audio Question!

yes you can replace just the stereo...and if you go to crutchfield.com and go to teh what fits my car section you can find what fits perfectly.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran

satellite radio: screw FM.
if your happy with your sound get a sirius radio and hook it to your existing setup. most of the time they even have free radios if you sign up for service. i know ill never go back

Old 12-10-2006, 04:18 AM
DODGERAM808
Professional

I am running an after market deck with my stock amp just for the back speakers. and yes the opening is din & 1/2.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:30 PM
jammerkiller

I second satellite radio! But, I guess you are in the UK and can't get it. Is there a GB satellite radio company? You can change just the H/U if you want. I bought my Pioneer Premier from Crutchfield for cheap, and it came with the mounting adapter and wire harness. With you having the Infinity system, I think the only difference is hooking up the after-market radios' "power amp" wire (blue or blue/white) to the stock harness, so that the new stereo will power up the stock Infinity amps. Crutchfield should be able to help with that dilemma.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Erich_121
Veteran

US FM stations end always in odd numbers. i dont know where your from but you going to have to buy a cd player that can tune to just even or even and odd, even tho ive never seen both.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
DakinUK
Veteran

Thanks for all the advice guys. Over here in the UK, FM stations can end in either odd or even numbers. Seems like the BBC use odd numbers, which is fine for me as they're the best and have national coverage (although you have to re-tune if you travel far) and the comercial stations use even numbers. Never noticed it till I got the Dakota! I'm guessing that what you call Satalite radio is what we're calling Digital radio over here, at least we get it for free with the right equipment and if you're in coverage. Here in London I've heard its fine along with most of the other bigger cities but it can be a bit patchy in the more remote areas. I also saw that most units needed a seperate unit for the Satalite/Digital radio which I wouldn't be keen on.
I looked at Crutchfields and saw some really nice stuff at crazy prices (god bless the strong pound!) but I think I'd run into the same problems as before. I didn't see any 1.5 DIN units either. When I entered "My Car", it would say that everything would fit but I assume they mean with a spacer, either as a blanking plate or a pocket. I bought a Harness/Adaptor the last time is was in the States so it sould be straight forward now that I know I can use all the rest of the Infinity system. As I said in my original post, I'm pretty pleased with the original system but I don't know much about them (usualy the V8 is music enough!). How does it compare to more modern after-market stuff (not top-end stuff)?

Thanks for all your help.

Regards, Paul.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Erich_121
Veteran

Im pretty sure that some companys make 1.5 dins but i think is not that common. I just looked at your truck at crutchfield and it said it was a euro din size. Thats the same as a single din size. (just ataches differently from iso). So any single din cd player will work fine. A good example would be most all of pioneers cd players. If your sill not sure what size your cd player is measure it in your truck, a din size would be 2 inches tall. A double din would be 4 inches. Ahh i understand now. Yours is 3 inches, hence 1.5din. Ok sorry for the misunderstanding. You can buy any regular din cd player or any 1.5din and use a mounting kit ($20 or 10GBP) to fit it. Its not hard at all.

Now back to your original question. It seems that your stock system included infinity speakers and an amplifier. Now im not quite sure how the factory reciever connects to the amp. On after market systems RCA's are used to send the low voltage signal to the amp. If your infinity amp has RCA inputs your ok to hook it up to a new deck. If it doesnt have them your probably going to have to buy a new amp. Im not sure how your system sounds but lets compare it to mine. I have a pioneer 7500MP cd player, 4 infinity aftermarket speakers, a 10 inch alpine type R with a rockford fostage 500.1BD amp. The sub makes extreamly nice sounding bass at around 60hz, and the speakers sound loud and crystal clear. I am powering my speakers just using the cd player and it loud enuff to make your ears hurt badly. Pioneer has always made very powerful cd players. So i always tell people you have 3 choices. 1, buy very low end stuff and have it sound just a little beter then stock. 2, But medium quality with good sound quality and loudness. 3, buy the best you can find. I think most people go with medium quality. well good luck

Quick Reply: Another Audio Question!