2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

heater core flush instructions Dakota by Virused

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:00 PM
jnc2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: heater core flush instructions

Flushed the core the other day. Over all it was rather clean. This led me to believe I had a bad themostat. 5 min later napa had the stat at my door I had the hose off and the gasket cleaned up. Put the new one in place cleaned everything back up, filled the radiator back up and fired her up. She blows hot air now.

The thing that gets me is my stat didn't feel bad. The spring still had alot of play with it. For the time being I just put another 195F back in until the spring time when I'll spend more time modding other things

Old 02-04-2007, 03:10 PM
GeeTeeOhh

You should also considerusing distilled water (low mineral content) to avoid corrosion of the radiator and fouling of the whole system. I was recently denied a warranty claim on a replacement radiator in another truck. The tank to core joint failed due to crevice corrosion caused by using ordinary tap water (we have a high mineral content well). The repair manual also states to use low mineral content water.

BTW, thanks for the procedure!

Old 02-05-2007, 04:01 PM
deerang
All Star

How similar is the layout of the hoses for the 4.7l engine?

Old 02-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: deerang

How similar is the layout of the hoses for the 4.7l engine?
I am not sure, but either way, just find your water pump, and follow both lines. One will run through your firewall and that will be the one that is going to your heater core. From there you can follow the line right next to (or above/below) it to the intake manifold. From there, follow the directions as stated.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 PM
deerang
All Star

thanks Virused. That's what I was thinking, but I wasnt sure just how different DC was thinking when they built the 4.7

Old 02-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Lady Durango

I have been reading all the posts from virused and they were awesome...i never thought i could flush a heater core...but i did...junk came out and i still have kinda luke warm heat....i replaced the thermostat last night and JUST got done with the flush...i drove around for a bit and got it to temp and still luke warm heat....any ideas?

Old 02-13-2007, 12:41 AM
tarhl4evr

funny how dodge conveniently put that coupler there on the in line to the heater core. must be a common problem.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Lady Durango

I have been reading all the posts from virused and they were awesome...i never thought i could flush a heater core...but i did...junk came out and i still have kinda luke warm heat....i replaced the thermostat last night and JUST got done with the flush...i drove around for a bit and got it to temp and still luke warm heat....any ideas?
Is this problem still happening?

Old 02-18-2007, 03:34 PM
LayItLowS10

Lady D ... you might need to flush your entire coolant system. you may have cleaned your heater core, but its just getting clogged up again from the rest of the system when it starts to circulate again

Old 10-23-2007, 12:02 PM
BigRedLemon

Thanks for the tutorial. Was this done on a truck with AC? I was going to replace my heater core but it said that I had to drain the AC coolant I'd just had installed for whatever reason. If I could just flush the core without messing with the AC coolant, I'd be a very happy camper.

Quick Reply: heater core flush instructions Dakota by Virused