2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Replacing manual with power windows?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:41 PM
red9535
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing manual with power windows?

I need help. I want to replace my manual windows with power ones.

Im going to a junkyard to find some, i'm confident that i'l be able to find the stock interior panels with the switches. Problem is, I have to bring all my own tools to the yard and I have to take it all out myself, but i'm not sure exactlly what i need to take.

How do i get the panels off? What do i need from inside the panel? The motor, and what else? Where do i find it, and how do i get it off?

Thanks

Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 PM
DakotaMan
Veteran
Default RE: Replacing manual with power windows?

what year is your dakota becasue my driver side panel it cracked and have been looking for another one w/o power and if you wanna sell them i will buy them..sorry its off topic but i thought i would put that out there

Old 12-14-2006, 06:38 PM
red9535
Professional

Its an 02.. and if i end up having them laying around, i'd be happy to sell them to you.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:07 PM
DakotaMan
Veteran

Well if get yor power one then PM me and i will buy them off you

Old 12-14-2006, 07:28 PM
kjun
Professional

To remove the door panels on my 2002 QC, you need a phillips screw driver (#2 should do it). Remove 5 screws (I think) and lift the panel and pull out slightly. It removes pretty easily and does not have those stupid clips like some of the older cars I've had. It won't be completely free as the wiring and rods for the door handle and lock are still connected. So once the panel is loose, reach in there and disconnect the wires (window switches, power lock, etc) and remove the power lock and handle rods (just simple clips). A pair of needle nose is handy or this part. Once disconneced remove the panel out of the way.

The next think you will want to do is disconnect the regulator from the window. It is 2 bolts located at the bottom of the window. The hardest part will be if the window is in the up position. Reaching those bolts will be tough and a open/box end wrench would be the best tool for the job. Ideally you want the window/regulator in the down position as the bolts would be easily reachable. Then remove the regulator/motor. Looking at the door, in the center will be 4 bolts (2 high and 2 low). These are for the regulator. Towards the front are 3 bolts, and these are for the motor. It will be pretty obvious when you look at it. You will want to take both the regulator and the motor and they can be removed as one unit. Remove the 7 bolts, disconnect the motor connector and remove the assembly through the opening in the lower rear of the door. It is really pretty easy to do.

As far what what else you need I can only think of the wiring. I'm not sure how you would want to take it but assume you could cut it where it enters the door and splice it in to your truck at home. I'm not familiar with doors with manual power windows so I am guessing here.

Regarding the tools, I can't remember the exact sizes but I would say take a couple of screw drivers, pliers, a socket set (I think everything was metric on mine and the sizes of 8-12 MM should be about right. Same with the box end wrenches. Again don't quote me on the sizes. If you take a decent metric set of sockets and wrenches you should be covered.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:58 PM
red9535
Professional

Well, at the junk yard i was quoted at 250 minimum.. so I said **** that. I ordered a kit off of e-bay for just under 100, and i'm going to a junkyard to get the panels with the switches.

First off, how much should i pay for the panels? I was thinking i'd offer 50 for both.. i dont konw how much they are worth. All i need is the interior trim with the switches.

Second, i'm not sure as to how i'd go about doing this once i get the panels and the kit. I can take off my manual door panel.. but i think thats about as far as i'l be able to get without any help or insight.

Can someone help me? What will i need to do to remove the crank system and install this one? As detailed as possible would be very helpful.

Thanks.

For the guy who wanted to buy the manual ones.. I'd be more then happy to sell them, once I get my power up and running. I'll let you konw.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:35 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

down load the manual thats floating around here somewhere. and it will tell you what you have to do.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:20 PM
red9535
Professional

Since i got a universal kit, i'm worried about the bolts not lining up.

Can someone please go into more detail? I dont want to try to tackle this project, even with someone else helping me who knows a little bit more about it, if i feel like im not prepared.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:22 PM
red9535
Professional

Just did this today, it was a breeze.

The junk yard idea was a bust.. I went but they didnt have any that would work. So the only thing I learned from the 2 hour experience is that durango doors dont fit on dakotas Thats ok though.. i ordered aftermarket switches from the same company that made the kit (SPAL)

The kit isnt actual automatic regulators.. its just a motor that has a set of gears that you hook right up to your old crank regulator. Everythings inside the door panel. It works quickly and quietly. All you have to do is drill a few holes in the door panel and screw it on there so it stays put, and fit the right gears. First door took about an hour and 15 mins.. 2nd door took about 10. Overall took about 2 hours with setup and cleanup, everythings back together. Honestly the hardest part was figuring out how to get the ****ing cranks off of my door without busting it.. lol. Stupid little clip thing.

The switches havnt come in the mail yet, but once they do (tomorrow or saturday hopefully), i'l take pictures of the mechanism when i take the door panel off again to put the switches in, and i'll take some pictures of the final product.

Seriously, if anyone is considering doing this at all, do it. Its totally worth it. A little over 100 bucks got me everything off of ebay, and it was LOT simpler then i thought.

Solid. I'm really happy and excited right now

Expect pictures this weekend once i get the switches wired.

Quick Reply: Replacing manual with power windows?